Stoned at Stonehenge


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Stonehenge
July 4th 2009
Saved: May 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

StonehengeStonehengeStonehenge

A two hour drive out to the country for the pride of the Isles
I am taking a break from Wimbledon tennis, and the big City with a short, but long 2 hour bus tour down to see ancient Stonehenge, near (two miles west) the city of Amesbury, in Wiltshire, South England. Noted historians tell us that Stonehenge was built in three phases over a period of 1400 years. it is the most outstanding prehistoric monument in the British Isles (I say after St. Andrews, haha), and is a World Heritage Site.

Phase 1 (2950-2900 BC) is the earliest portion of the complex, consisting of a circular bank, ditch, and counterscrap bank of about 330 feet in diameter. Just inside the earth bank is a circle of the 56 Aubrey holes that held wooden posts. Phase 1 is attributed to the Windmill people.

Phase 2 (2900-2400 BC) indicate timber settings in the center of the monument and at the northeastern entrance. The Aubrey Holes no longer contained posts, but were partially filled. Some were filled with cremation deposits. But the pattern or configuration does not reveal a particular form, shape or function. Phase 2 is attributed to the Beaker people.

Phase 3 (2550-1600 BC) is when the monument underwent a complicated sequence
U.S. VersionU.S. VersionU.S. Version

Carhenge is the US version of Stonehenge
of settings of large stones. The first settings were known as the Bluestones. They were ultimately dismantled and a Sarsens Circle and a Trilithons (horseshoe shaped arrangement) were erected. Bluestones may have been added at some point, but were later removed. Phase 3 is attributed to the First Wessex People.

Getting to basics, historians can find no evidence to reveal why Stonehenge was built. Some say it was a sacrificial altar, and others say it is an astronomy tool. There is no evidence as to who built it, but the best guess is Greeks, Druids, or Atlanteans. It became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1986 and is owned by the Crown and managed by English Heritage.

The circle was aligned with the midsummer sunrise, the midwinter sunset, and the most southerly and northerly setting of the moon. The building of Stonehenge reveals that the builders knew sophisticated mathematical and geometrical understandings of the framework, and structural engineering for the construction phase.

Two types of stones used were Bluestones, which weigh almost 4 tons, and were brought from 240 miles away. The other type were Sarsens stones, which had a height of 18 feet, and weighed 25 tons. Of course, this was done before the invention of the wheel. Some may have been floated on large rafts up the River Avon. It is estimated that 30 million hours of labor were required to build Stonehenge.

More than 900 stone rings exist in the British Isles. Stonehenge is the most well known. It predates megalithic monuments in the Eastern Mediterranean, Greece, Egypt, and Mycenae. Prior to 1950, scientists believed Stonehenge was used in rituals of different Neolithic chiefdoms. Now, most scientists realize that it served an equally important function, that of an astronomical observatory.

Upon first glance, it looks like an interesting place to visit. It could even host a cocktail party or wedding. So this morning, I tried to sleep in, have a decent breakfast, and take the bus over to Harrod's big yearly sale. I had some champagne and oysters at the Harrod's oyster and champagne bar. I met a Chinese women (not Donna Changstein), who helped me find some good old Portland, oregon oysters. I did not buy anything,as even at 50% or more off, the prices were crazy. Plus I do not wear that designer crap anyway.

I talked to a group of protesters out at Stonehenge. They object to the University taking the remains from the burial mounds, and trying to carbon date them. They want the remains replaced in the burial mounds. He may have been slightly lunatic fringe, but fun to talk to for 5 minutes. In general, I would say this place is quite overrated. Of all the World Heritage Sites I have visited, this is the least impressive.

Perhaps to complete this trip, I should go to Nebraska and visit Carhenge. There is no admission charge, but donations are accepted. Carhenge is meant to replicate Stonehenge with a circle of cars. Thirty eight automobiles were placed in the same proportions as Stonehenge, with a diameter of 96 feet. The heel stone is a 1962 Cadillac. The artist, Jim Reinders, built Carhenge as a memorial to his father.

The artist of this unique car sculpture, Jim Reinders, experimented with unusual and interesting artistic creations throughout his life. While living in England, he had the opportunity to study the design and purpose of Stonehenge. His desire to copy Stonehenge in physical size and placement came to fruition in the summer of 1987 with the help of many family members.

Thirty-eight automobiles were placed to assume the same proportions as Stonehenge with the circle measuring approximately 96 feet in diameter. Some autos are held upright in pits five feet deep, trunk end down, while those cars which are placed to form the arches have been welded in place. All are covered with gray spray paint. The honor of depicting the heel stone goes to a 1962 Caddy.






COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb