Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Stonehenge
Blogs from Stonehenge
Latest Blogs from Stonehenge
- October 11th 2012 Let me just tell you how my day went.
by Words: 812 Photos: 17
- July 15th 2012 Winchester, Salisbury & Stonehenge: One day full of history
by Words: 788 Photos: 9
- April 2nd 2012 Stonehenge and Bath
by Words: 1937 Photos: 0
- March 5th 2012 Broken Stones
by Words: 1410 Photos: 4
- October 15th 2011 Stonehenge, Salisbury, Old Sarum, and a play
by Words: 997 Photos: 0
- September 17th 2011 Rain. Not always bad.
by Words: 963 Photos: 29
- June 21st 2011 Euro Trip Day 4, Fourth Blood (you'll get it near the end)
by Words: 519 Photos: 0
- June 19th 2011 Stonehenge- BIG STONES
by Words: 482 Photos: 8
- September 19th 2010 Stonehenge
by Words: 797 Photos: 20
- May 10th 2010 StoneHenge
by Words: 2 Photos: 4
- October 20th 2009 At Stonehenge
by Words: 328 Photos: 5
- October 7th 2009 Mini-trip: Stonehenge & Bath
by Words: 841 Photos: 45
- September 12th 2009 As I was going to St Ives, I met a man with 40 wives.
by Words: 513 Photos: 12
- July 18th 2009 Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Oxford, England
by Words: 864 Photos: 55
- July 9th 2009 Stonehenge
by Words: 452 Photos: 0
- July 5th 2009 A Henge Like No Other...
by Words: 267 Photos: 18
- July 4th 2009 Stoned at Stonehenge
by Words: 838 Photos: 2
- June 22nd 2009 Stonehenge...
by Words: 117 Photos: 9
- June 10th 2009 Visiting Stonehenge
by Words: 487 Photos: 11
- March 25th 2009 Beyond the Sea
by Words: 977 Photos: 5