Nymans Garden in Autumn


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Sussex » Crawley
December 3rd 2011
Published: December 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We had recently read the book of history of Nymans Garden written by Shirley Nicholson, and have been inspired to come back there in autumn in 2011.

Dense fog was spread through the ground and the misty horizon was appearing when we arrived at Pinetum on 19th November.

As we walked down, we found a clump of bamboo shrubs, the wooden sculptures of panda, and winding boardwalk, which attraction had been added recently. All of the garden ornaments like fountains or lanterns were covered up by green clothes and just a few flowers and roses remained flowering. Many shrubs and trees’ foliage had turned gold, red, orange, and yellow and brownish leaves were falling on the ground.

As planned, we entered the Wild Garden, opposite to the formal garden. We saw a number of crimson and vermillion shrubs and golden trees, and tall and distinctive shaped pine trees on the Wild Garden.

We then returned to the formal garden. We saw a couple of white doves stopping at the dovecote and strolled through Heath Garden, Rock Garden, and Croquet Lawn. Blue sky was appearing by the time we entered the Heath Garden. Crimson and cream heath flowers, auburn, lime, moss-green, and brownish shrubs and trees looked splendid with cyan blue sky. We also spotted distinctive golden and tawny fungi on the trunk of the old trees.

We had lunch at the brand new and ate sandwiches, half a slice of lemon cake each and a cup of tea.

Sunny weather encouraged us to do arboretum walk in the afternoon. After leaving the Pinetum, we followed the descending path and walked through the woodland. A forest of pine trees, ashes, oaks, and red wood displayed glorious autumnal leaves together with brownish ferns under foot. There were some ancient trees the roots of which were growing along the rocks, which were similar to ones grown in Wakehurst Place. The millennium trail led us to Conifer Avenue, lake, woodland holiday cottage, etc. Gold, vermillion, and yellow leaves were reflecting in the water on the sunny afternoon. We saw several fungi on the ground surrounded by fallen leaves. The footpath contained a number of downhill and uphill courses and it allowed us to overlook various types of trees with glorious autumn coloured leaves. The signposts were well-marked, and it was easy for us to follow the trail.

We popped in the gift shop displaying festive items and exotic seasoning stuff and wines.

We caught the bus for Crawley at 3:30 and returned to Wood Green just after 6pm.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb