River Wey Walk from Guildford to Godalming


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey
March 16th 2010
Published: March 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post



We visited River Wey Godalming Navigations & Dapdune Museum in summer in 2007, and walked toward Godalming. As we started a bit late and the weather was rather unsettled, we weren't able to complete the 6 mile journey. We decided to complete the journey on August Bank Holiday in 2009.

We took the train from Waterloo to Guildford. Mark had checked the maps around Guildford and Godalming, make copies of the walk. I had prepared the picnic lunch.

We started the walk from the town centre and park around the river. We had a picnic lunch along the riverside. We recognised the sculptures of Alice in Wonderland and lovely bridges, and canal. There were a number of pleasure boats, rowers, cyclists, families with children and dogs, fishers, and joggers along the River Wey. A sunny and warm weather seemed to encourage many people to do a lot of activities. We saw some colourful aquatic plants and an abundance of wildlife. There was a herd of Highland cattle walking and drinking the water, and found tame ponies along the towpath. The water transport was busy on 31 August 09. We saw two families pulling and pushing the locks manually for their boats to go through. What's more, we saw the pleasure boats pulled by the horse along the towpath, which is a very old-fashioned manner. There was a wide range of boats including the steam boats and the small boat named "Lark Rise.

The towpath between Guildford and Godalming goes past the avenues of willows, wetlands, meadows, locks, some heritage items, and bridges.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 19; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb