Ranger's House, Blackheath


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Greenwich
March 16th 2010
Published: March 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post



We went to Ranger's House, Blackheath, which is managed by English Heritage and is home to an extraordinary wealth of medieval, Renaissance, and later works of art collection on 8 August 09.

Upon arrival, we showed our membership cards, and entered the exhibition rooms. We firstly read the panels of Julius Wernher's biography. We understood that Julius Wernher was born in Germany , and the opportunity to work with Charles Mege in South Africa changed his life. With great success of dealing with raw diamonds, he gained an incredible amount of fortune. There were displays of a Louis XV mechanical travelling cabinet which he received as a Christmas present in 1874, and it made him begin collecting beautiful crafted of art. There was a huge array of antique jewellery, ivories, enamels, medieval art collection, e.g. altarpiece, pendant, most of which were collected by Julius Wernher. We were invited to use the magnifies to see the details of ivory panels, diamonds, pendants, plaque depicting the famous events or mythological stories diplayed on the grasscases.

Various people lived in the brick villa from 1700 to 1896, and the wealthy people filled valuable paintings, portraits, works of art, and tapestries, and they were displayed on the ground floors.

We strolled through the rose garden around the Ranger's House, and walked though Greenwich Park. There were a lot of people in the park.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0166s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb