Excursion to Winkworth Arborerum, May 2017


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey » Godalming
May 22nd 2017
Published: May 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

We visited Winkworth Arboretum near Godalming in Surrey last autumn. We found lovely pictures of spring displays in the Boat House – these photos encouraged us to come back to this arboretum in spring time. The weather forecast of 20th May was sunshine/showers – a typical English weather. We had lunch on the train.



Upon arrival at Winkworth Arboretum, we saw trees with green leaves – it was very different from the last time.







Mark carried a map and navigated the route. First, we decided to walk down to the lake. As we walked down, colourful rhododendrons and azaleas and lush foliage came into our sight. We also noted myriads of wildflowers on foot. We popped in the boathouse and walked along the lake. We followed the footpath on the Rowe’s Flashe Meadow. There were myriads of wildflowers grown – bluebells, yarrows, buttercups, garlic mustards, cornflowers, chamomile, lupines, thistles, rose bay, to name just a few – these little flowers did not only create colourful carpets but also offered nectarine to insects. It was a picturesque and therapeutic atmosphere.



After walking on the Rowe’s Flashe Meadow, we decided to walk on the course along Sorbus Hill. This hilly course offered magnificent displays of autumn coloured leaves; all the trees and shrubs had light- and dark-green leaves and some had scented flowers this time. Showers fell down from time to time and gave moist to wildflowers. We enjoyed fantastic views of the lake, the wooded ground and the lush countryside.



We then decided to explore the Bluebell Wood on the north side. Long lasting magnolias, red, orange, pink and violet rhododendrons and azaleas decorated here and there on the wooded parkland. We enjoyed seeing bluebells and various wildflowers, tranquilly flowing brook while strolling through the dense wood.



Mark followed the challenging walk with 3.6km course. We needed to have ice cream after the walk.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

lupineslupines
lupines

Lupines were about to fully blossom - it was the perfect time to look at.


Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb