Walk on Green Park and Hyde Park


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Piccadilly
June 1st 2017
Published: June 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

On 28th May we planned walking on Green Park and Hyde Park. Part of the Green Park was used for the charity marathon’s course, and this didn’t let us follow the part of the walking course recommended by ‘Walking London’s Parks and Gardens.’ However, when we arrived at the start of the avenue flanked by poplar trees along Constitution Hill, it appeared a tranquil scene surrounded by greens and we enjoyed a peaceful atmosphere.



We then reached the busy roundabouts by Hyde Park Corner. We remembered the Wellington Arch and Apsley House, both of which are managed by English Heritage, and walked past war memorials.



We entered Hyde Park from the southeast side and strolled through lovely rose garden with spectacular collections and displays of scented flowers and herbaceous plants. Many of those flowers, old roses and clematis were fully blossomed and attracted bumblebees. I took a number of photos of colourful flowers and bumblebees sitting on the scented flowers.



We then walked to the Holocaust Memorial surrounded by silver birch trees and followed the path along the Dell, with a cascade and a pool fed by spillage from the Serpentine which lies unseen, banked up behind the bridge – like parapet above.



After turning left at the top of a U-turn, we found the Serpentine. The big artificial lake has been home to a wide variety of waterfowls – swans, ducks, coots, herons and signets. The weather was mixed in the afternoon on 28 May – we experienced light showers at times. Quite a few people were holding umbrellas on the benches and on the lawn – it looked quite atmospheric.



Upon arrival at the western edge of lake, we walked on Serpentine Bridge on the north bank of the Serpentine. We found some notable monuments – Rima Monument, and the Old Post Office and Ranger’s Lodge. We then followed the path along the parkland and found the Reformer’s Tree junction, on the spot of which an oak tree used to grow and was used as a rallying point for the Reform League. Next, we walked on the northeast direction and found Speaker’s corner and Marble Arch, and walked southwards towards Queen Elizabeth Gate.



We took the tube from Hyde Park Corner


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

CanpanulasCanpanulas
Canpanulas

very enchanting flowers


Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1003s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb