Quick Visit to Sutton Hoo and It's Getting Cold!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Suffolk » Woodbridge
October 19th 2012
Published: March 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I swear it is minus 10! and today we met Vaughns Aunty, who has moved over for work in a lovely wee village Saxmundham. Luckily our wee car made it, even keeping up with the big boys on the motorway in the pouring rain! I'm now starting to get a glimpse into the renowned english winter. After a wee cuppa & scone ( as you do) we made our way to Sutton Hoo where ancient anglo saxon warriors awaited....yet another part of history Vaughn would love to travel back in time to...much to his delight they had a museum full of Anglo Saxon memorobilia dug from the graves which are in the Saxon Hoo site. To be honest it was actually quite interesting. They used to bury their dead in ships along with their servants, horses, a banquet if food, jewels, sheilds, armoury etc and the burial site clearly shows this with massive mounds of earth (kind of resembling the tellytubbies playland) bulging from the paddock base. We braved the coldest day on earth, complete with bitter wind, to see these mounds of grass....they even provided a viewing platform, in case you missed them walking past. It was kind of interesting to think that once upon a time a whole anglo saxon village lived on this site, the site is thought to be the oldest known settlers site in England. The museum was definitly worth a look, with a mock up ship burial display so you could imagine how it was. It was interesting to see the original pieces from the burial sites which were literally 1000 years old!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb