Ramsholt Arms, Bawdsey and Orford. Exploring the Suffolk AONB.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Suffolk » Woodbridge
August 12th 2021
Published: August 12th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Lovely day out in Smart Arse today exploring the local area to the East of Woodbridge. We crossed the Deben river and drove through the pretty Suffolk countryside passing lots of enormous tractors on the way. Made Smart Arse look even tinier. This is an agricultural area, fields full of crops and quite frequently full of pigs, each with their own little hut. Loving the architecture. Lots of thatched cottages, pastel coloured houses and tall twisted chimneys.

First stop at the Ramsholt Arms on the banks of the river and nothing else anywhere in sight except moored up boats. Perfect spot for lunch.

Further down river from there until we came to the estuary at Bawdsey. From there we could see across to North Felixtowe. There is a little ferry which crosses the river but we didn't and instead took a walk along Pebble Beach to the Point with a view to the North Sea and Bawdsey Manor (Britain's first wartime research and radar station and now a children's activity centre hidden away in the trees). Just enjoying the view when it decided we had been too lucky with the glorious weather so the clouds spat on us which sent us hurrying back to the car. Not easy on a very pebbly beach.

Next and last stop was Orford. There is a ferry from here across to Orford Ness but we knew it was fully booked so didn't bother asking. Had icecream and a wander round the boats instead and then along the gorgeously pretty road with houses so quintessentially English they looked as if a Midsummer Murder was about to happen. We also stopped at Orford Castle from the top of which there are views across to Orford Ness but climbing steps is not my favourite exercise since new hip so we didn't go inside.

And so back to the motorhome. Moving from this excellent little site tomorrow as they need our pitch for a full site rally. We are only going 3 miles down the road but a bit of a faff having to pack up and move on especially as it's only for one night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb