Day out in Southwold


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Suffolk » Southwold
August 13th 2021
Published: August 14th 2021
Edit Blog Post

First task of the day was to pack up the motorhome and change campsites to another (Shrubbery Farm). Just 2.6 miles down the road as our booking arrangements at the first site had been unexpectedly altered by the arrival of a rally which wanted the whole site including our pitch ! No bother. We were recamped by 9.30 and ready to get on with our day which was to be an outing to Southwold.

Visited a rather lovely traditional English seaside town. Southwold ..up the coast a bit but an easy drive in Smart Arse.

Parked just as we came to the town, met up with Jenny and family and we walked in and of course went for a stroll along the pier. Just what a seaside pier should be. Little shops selling seaside tat, a couple selling slightly more up market tat and a wall of silly mirrors. What more could anyone ask for on a nice sunny summer’s day ?

This is so obviously a Victorian summer holiday resort. Some lovely buildings and the town is pretty well unspoilt by unsympathetic modern developments as we have seen in some other towns.

Lots of other people obviously thought Southwold was a good place to visit too as Covid has forced so many people who would normally holiday abroad, to stay in England. Just as we have done. Plenty of people on the beach, eating sandy sandwiches, building sandcastles and watching the tide come in to fill the moats plus some hardy souls in the water. The weather is being very kind though not offering quite wall to wall sunshine.

We lunched on bacon and sausage butties and generally enjoyed the seasideness of it all.

Then back along the main street which has quite a number of interesting little shops before my legs gave up so we headed back the find the car and drove back to the campsite.

Dinner was a family affair back in Woodbridge and then a short stroll along the quay before returning to our campsite.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.1667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb