In Search of the Spotted Dog


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent
August 22nd 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sally Allsopp and the Spotted DogSally Allsopp and the Spotted DogSally Allsopp and the Spotted Dog

Who'd have thought? The only day of the year that the Spotted Dog was closed!
On Friday I left London and headed out to spend the weekend with my great pals Sally and Michael Allsopp. Mick and Sal have been living in England for more than four years (it could be five) and have spent the last 15 months or so in Maidstone Kent.

On Saturday we decided to take a trip out into the Kent countryside and on my brother's recommendation we headed off for Penshurst in search of the famous Spotted Dog Pub

The weather was warm as we left Maidstone and within 15 minutes we were surrounded by the beautiful Kent countryside.

I was confident we were on the right road however Sally suggested otherwise as she took over navigational duties. It seemed that we were going totally in the wrong direction according to Sally.

It turns out we were on the right road and Sally had us heading to Penbury instead of Penshurst. Mick was feeling extremely hungry having only eaten a carrot since breakfast and was in desperate need of some lunch. Taking a very rapid u-turn we were back on the Penshurst track.

We eventually arrived at Penshurst and asked a number of locals if they knew
Your Blogger and MickYour Blogger and MickYour Blogger and Mick

The owner of the Spotted Dog found it hillarious that some of us had travelled a long way to have lunch at the Spotted Dog only to discover it was closed!
where the Spotted Dog was yet all we received were blank stares in return.

Onwards we travelled, through the village, until we finally came across the famous Spotted Dog. We jumped out of the car and walked with restrained enthusiasm to the pub entrance only to be greeted with CLOSED SATURDAY 22ND AUGUST 2009 FOR A PRIVATE PARTY.

For only the first time this year the pub was closed! We headed back into the village, found another pub and enjoyed lunch anyway.

After lunch we took in some of the local cricket in front of the 650 year old Penshurst Place and Gardens before heading back late in the afternoon to Maidstone for dinner at home.

We all enjoyed our drive through the countryside. When the sun is shining there are not many places more beautiful than Kent. When I next visit Mick and Sally I'll make sure we discover some more of this lovely county.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The Nearby Liecester ArmsThe Nearby Liecester Arms
The Nearby Liecester Arms

Luckily there is more than one pub in Penshurt. We enjoyed lunch at the Liecester Arms
Mick and Sal at the Liecester ArmsMick and Sal at the Liecester Arms
Mick and Sal at the Liecester Arms

It was a lovely day to be out and about.
The Kent countrysideThe Kent countryside
The Kent countryside

One of the beautiful fields of Penshurst. The sheep were enjoying the warmth of the summer sun.
Tea break at the cricketTea break at the cricket
Tea break at the cricket

It wasnt the Oval but these cricketers were enjoying the tea break on a hot summers day in Kent
On the fenceOn the fence
On the fence

Our timing was out with the cricket as well. Just as we arrive both teams take tea!
Penshurst PlacePenshurst Place
Penshurst Place

The stately home of Penshurst Place provides a beautiful backdrop for the cricket ground


Tot: 0.399s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.2038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb