Dover


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Dover
November 17th 2013
Published: November 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We went to Dover castle one of the days we were in England. It was really interesting, first walking in there, because the outside makes it look like one big castle, but it is really just a wall around it. We first looked at the things that are around the castle, like mortars, catapults and cannons. Then we went undneath the castle to where we think prisoners were put. There we were big metal balls with cannon balls on them so it was difficult to move the doors in and out. Then we went up into the castle where we learned about the history of King Henry the second and his family, and how they had many fights with each other. Then we went up into one of the towers which had the sleeping quarters for the King, some knights and the Queen. It was really neat up there, we got to see the armour and shields and it turns out that King Henry had most of his gold in pennies. They were the only coin that he trusted. We continued on and saw the kitchen. It was huge. It had pots that could hold probably an entire cow. They had big wooden spoons to stir the soup. Once we left the castle, we went to the war time tunnels. I believe they were made in the First World War to house men, and then reused in the Second World War as a hospital and a strategy centre. The second and bottom floors were again used to house men. The hospital was on the first floor. We didn't have time to see that; it sounded like it was pretty interesting. We went to the second floor where they made strategies and watched battles, because it was in the side of the mountain where they could see everything happening in front of them. They also had some men there too. They planned the great rescue of Dunkirk there. We had to take a tour, because you could get easily lost in all the tunnels. We went through many rooms. The first was the waiting room, where they had advertisements of the times and explained what the tour was. There were other rooms, some were for planning and some were seeing how the battle was playing out. A funny thing was that, if the men wanted to go to the washroom, the men said they were going to watch for ships. Because the best place to watch for the enemy was from the bathroom window. At the end of the tour, it was closing time for the castle, so we decided that we would go home.

Hope you liked it.

Snake Wrangler signing out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb