The Flanders Museum


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » West Flanders » Ypres
November 17th 2013
Published: November 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We left England on a Ferry, crossing over to France. Then we got a train to Lille where we were staying at a hotel. We got in at night so we didn't do much that day. The next day we went to Ypres in our rented car. We got mixed up in Lille, and couldn't find our way out. Dad got out of the car to look for a street sign. When he got out he rolled his foot. We thought he had just sprained something,but we later found out that it was fractured. We found our way and got to Ypres. We got a little mixed up because everything was in Flemish. We found our way to the Flanders museum. When we walked there, Dad's foot was getting worse and we decided not to see it that day. We grabbed a bite to eat and went back to the hotel And went to bed.

The next day Dad's foot was hurting so much that went and checked it out at the hospital. We were at the hospital for pretty much the whole day. The rest of that day and the next day we just took it easy.

The fourth day we were there, we got to Ypres much faster and went to the museum. When we got there they gave us these neat watch like things, that you would do a log in with. You would put your full name in and where you were from, country, province and city. Then at the end, they would give you three stories of people who died in the war from your town and maybe even family. We started of seeing what the advertisements were for recruitment and some of the life stories by the people who weren't in it but were effected by the war. We kept walking through, seeing the aftermath of it, and seeing and hearing more stories from people in it and effected by it. We saw some of the weapons they used. There was this one story of men who rode up on bikes with machine guns. They took out all the German now, who were on horses. We heard one story from Christmas, where everybody stopped fighting for one day. It started when the German soldiers started singing Silent Night. They threw cigarettes and cigars back and forth over the trenches, and played football with a tattered old ball in the snow. We were getting close to the end and we saw the end of a little bit of a movie, then on the intercom they said that they were going to close in 15 in minutes. Me and Dad started to hurry up a bit, but when we got to the part where we could listen to our stories, they were already closing so we didn't get to hear the stories. We left and had a more expensive dinner that night, and returned to the hotel.

Have a good day, evening or night.

Snake Wrangler signing off.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 17; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb