Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Blogs from Dover
Latest Blogs from Dover
- March 31st 2013 Carry on driving!
by Words: 952 Photos: 16
- October 14th 2012 I tried to sneak into France today.
by Words: 714 Photos: 11
- October 13th 2012 I want to live in Dover.
by Words: 602 Photos: 96
- October 13th 2012 Some slight rearranging.
by Words: 173 Photos: 0
- October 13th 2012 Hillbilly laundry.
by Words: 79 Photos: 2
- June 15th 2012 Nearly there!
by Words: 109 Photos: 0
- May 31st 2012 Cliffs of Dover and More London Adventures
by Words: 534 Photos: 6
- February 19th 2012 Weekend in London With a Day Trip to Dover
by Words: 988 Photos: 23
- February 15th 2012 Dover: The Key to England
by Words: 723 Photos: 72
- November 12th 2011 There will be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover - just you wait and see
by Words: 610 Photos: 3
- September 2nd 2011 White Cliffs
by Words: 335 Photos: 8
- August 25th 2011 First day of trip - from home to Dover, ready for early ferry next day.
by Words: 780 Photos: 2
- June 7th 2011 A Rainy Day in Paris
by Words: 233 Photos: 2
- December 11th 2010 Ready for the off
by Words: 182 Photos: 0
- September 25th 2010 Dover , P&O Ferries , Bruges Belgium
by Words: 1 Photos: 7
- July 2nd 2010 Two weeks to go...
by Words: 126 Photos: 0
- December 11th 2009 Dover
by Words: 930 Photos: 0
- November 16th 2009 Last Minute Preperations
by Words: 73 Photos: 0
- June 24th 2009 on our way to dover
by Words: 43 Photos: 7
- May 30th 2009 Walking the White Cliffs
by Words: 497 Photos: 15