Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Bolton
Blogs from Bolton
Latest Blogs from Bolton
- February 24th 2012 Adios Amigos!!
by Words: 131 Photos: 8
- November 14th 2011 The Point of No Return!
by Words: 123 Photos: 0
- June 16th 2011 Flights Booked!!
by Words: 28 Photos: 0
- January 25th 2011 3 weeks today and...
by Words: 446 Photos: 0
- January 4th 2011 Not long left at all.
by Words: 435 Photos: 1
- December 15th 2010 Its Thaime to Set Off!
by Words: 378 Photos: 0
- December 14th 2010 Thai Spy With My Little Eye
by Words: 684 Photos: 1
- November 22nd 2010 1 Week Later/Closer
by Words: 223 Photos: 0
- November 15th 2010 3 months to go,
by Words: 194 Photos: 0
- May 28th 2010 Day 06 Heading north to Lancashire
by Words: 176 Photos: 10
- November 1st 2008 Friends Birthday party and Halloween
by Words: 378 Photos: 17
- August 17th 2008 Last week of holiday
by Words: 1062 Photos: 3
- August 3rd 2008 The Night Out
by Words: 155 Photos: 20
- August 1st 2008 Formby Point and The Lakes
by Words: 1086 Photos: 5
- July 29th 2008 Birthday
by Words: 284 Photos: 2
- July 27th 2008 The Wedding
by Words: 984 Photos: 8
- July 25th 2008 Charlie arrives home at last
by Words: 408 Photos: 4
- August 15th 2007 Not long now.......!!
by Words: 128 Photos: 1
- April 25th 2007 Even further north...
by Words: 672 Photos: 11
- February 11th 2007 last farewells part 1
by Words: 131 Photos: 6