London - kisses in the sky


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
April 22nd 2010
Published: April 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

For almost 6 days our skies were closed airspace to any flights - incoming or outgoing.

there have been so many stories of people being stranded or trying to get home - my favourite being a work colleague on the way back from New Zealand was grounded in Frankfurt because of the volcanic cloud over the UK. The travel company put her and fellow stranded flyers up in a nice hotel then, on the second day they were all moved to an amazing hotel - during which time, she made friends with fellow stranded brits.

Then, at 1am on the third night, there came a knock on her bedroom door to say there was a coach waiting outside to take everyone back to England. Everyone boarded the coach they had no idea what was going to happen - they drove through Germany, into france and on to Calais - they boarded the ferry for dover and as the white cliffs came into view, whilst standing on the deck, and they were looking at England coming into sight, my work colleague's new 85 year old friend drew her cardigan around her against the cold, and said "Darling, it's just like Dunkirk"

and with that, as everyone reached the english coast - there was cheering from all round.

but whilst we have had a closed London sky, day by day, it became the clearest blue without cloud or jet streams. And, it stayed blue all day.

It became common to look up and see nothing but blue until yesterday, the sky was open again and what a difference.

kisses in the sky.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb