Other London Universities and The Society of Dyers and Colourists


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
May 7th 2007
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Society of Dyers and Colourists- Website

"Imagine a world without colour. One where everything we see is grey.

Fortunately, for most people, this is not something we ever need to contemplate. Colour is such an essential and commonplace aspect of our lives that we often take it for granted: on clothing, in our homes, in the natural environment, and indeed wherever we see it in our everyday lives.

The Society of Dyers and Colourists (SDC) is one group that has never taken colour for granted. Since its beginnings in 1884 it has been active in developing understanding of colour and how colour is applied in industry. Nowadays it is involved a range of activities, including promoting colour education and the professional status of the colourist, developing new ideas and testing procedures for industry, communicating information on colour through publications and events, plus a whole lot more.

The purpose of this site is to provide a taster for the activities in which the SDC is involved, and the services that it provides to members and the coloration community at large.

The SDC truly is a society committed to 'advancing colour in a changing world'."

On August 18th, my supervisor, a colleague, and I attended a lecture put on by the Society of Dyers and Colourists. This worldwide organization arranges lectures and events to expand peoples’ knowledge and interest in colour. A two hour train ride through the country brought us to Nottingham Trent University. The university reminded me so much of Madison and made me miss campus and all of my friends.

Anyway, the lectures were amazing. My supervisor gave a 45 minute presentation about careers in fashion and colour that all the students loved. I also spoke to the dean about her plans for the fashion school. She is pushing for the integration of the engineering students and design students on a term project. She stressed the importance of students understanding other fields and how their career with interact on a daily basis.

Also, in early August I went to Croydon College with another intern on my team. Croydon is just about 30 minutes east of central London. This university has a very small fashion program and many other technical programs. I could compare this university to MATC in Wisconsin. It had a total of 3 buildings and the classes were very small. The class I attended was on Fashion and Marxism and had a total of about 25 people in the class at a time (this is considered a large class).




Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb