Cheshire 3 - a city you take for granted


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cheshire » Chester
October 16th 2012
Published: October 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Chester Chester Chester

Eastgate Clock
Working part time certainly has its advantages. When the weather is fine it is possible to just make a spur of the moment decision to do something. That something may be just a walk locally, a wander down the lanes to admire the scenery and the flowers, a trip to a local attraction or even going further afield. Today we woke to bright Autumnal sunshine and decided to visit Chester. Although Chester is just down the road we don’t often get there. Perhaps we take it so much for granted. I guess you do that with the towns on your doorsteps. But today we decided to treat it as a tourist would. If we found a Chester with all its history when abroad we would head there as fast as we could. There is so much to see .

Our intention was to sell an old camera in the local camera exchange shop and then walk the city. We had been around the walls some years ago so this walk would be just a peaceful meander amongst the old buildings and the shops with a cup of coffee thrown in for good measure.

As usual we failed to remember
Chester Chester Chester

The Cathedral
we had free bus passes curtesy of the Welsh Assembly Government and could have used them to travel between home and Chester. Free travel but instead we drove in. We even considered the park and ride but in the end the parking was just as cheap as the bus fare and was closer to the city. We chose the car park close to the Castle and the Roodee racecourse which is within easy walking distance of the shops. The cost £3 for three hours. The car park was relatively empty. There were a couple of motorhomes parked alongside the river. Not sure if they should have been there as parking overnight for motorhomes is available on the racecourse the other side of the road. Chester boasts a wonderful flat racecourse in a lovely setting alongside the river.

We walked initially passed the old police headquarters which is now a brand spanking new hotel and makes a welcome addition to Chester city centre. We passed by the castle and the Chester Crown court the home of the infamous Moors Murder trial in 1966. Not something to be particularly proud of. Parts of the castle are medieval but the court buildings
Chester Chester Chester

The town Hall
themselves are neoclassical built between 1788 and 1813. The castle holds a military museum although we have never visited it. The main castle was built by Hugh Lupus the first Earl of Chester.

The walk into the city passes down Grosvenor Street where there is a fantastic Museum which we have visited previously and which houses a wonderful collection of Roman tombstones and other artifacts.

Next stop the camera shop, camera sold and we actually got more for it than they promised over the phone. Result. After the camera shop it was off to a small coffee shop for coffee and teacakes and a touch of people watching. The shops and the city seemed unusually empty perhaps this was due to the recession . On our last visit the shops and cafes were heaving.

After coffee we wandered around the streets first of all through the Rows which are covered walkways on the first floor. Some are used as offices and others shops. At street level there are more shops. In other words one shop stacked on top of another. Many of the shops are Tudor black and white typical of Cheshire architecture and others black and
Chester Chester Chester

The Rows
white Victorian Gothic examples. The rows stand on most of the main thoroughfares of Bridge Street, Watergate Street and Eastgate Street. Shopping is a delight under cover within the medieval structure of the rows. They are utterly unique in Britain and probably in the rest of the world.

Eastgate Street is dominated by the most photographic scene in England - the Eastgate clock. This was built onto the top of the city walls. A lovely feature and again rather unique. We did not walk the walls as we had done this before but they are worth the effort. It takes about an hour to walk and there are fantastic views above the city streets, of the canal, the river Dee and the remains of the Roman amphitheatre and roman gardens. .


We smiled at the Roman soldiers wandering the streets with children in tow. it was reminiscent of Rome and the gladiators outside waiting to be paid to be photographed with visitors. Chester is blessed with a Roman heritage and a beautiful cathedral dedicated to St
Chester Chester Chester

The Rows
Werbugh.

What a lovely way to spend a day in a really lovely city. Such a lot to see and more to go back to. We probably wont go anywhere for the next week as we are in the planning stages of our London trip. The list of places to see is growing - Hampton Court, the Tower of London, St Pauls, Westminster Abbey. A trip to the Pre-Raphaelite exhibition at Tate Britain, a visit to see the Mold Gold Cape at the British museum. The Thames, the Houses of Parliament, the Christmas lights on Regent Street and hopefully a firework display at Crystal Palace. There will be too many things to fit in over the short break but try to fit them in we will. Suzy is ready to be filled with what we need for a few days away and we are on the countdown.

.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.754s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 46; qc: 194; dbt: 0.5123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb