Denbighshire 7 another hillfort


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Denbighshire » Ruthin
October 16th 2012
Published: October 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Above Ruthin Above Ruthin Above Ruthin

A view across the vale from Penycloddiau
Autumn has definately kicked in. The mornings are getting much darker and gloomier and will continue to do so especially when the clocks go back in less than a months time. It is becoming dusky in the evening around 6.30. All colour has gone over in the gardens apart from the remaining hardy roses, dahlias and chrysanthemums. The leaves of the trees are taking on the Autumn colours of bronze, gold, yellow and crimson. And those that have already changed are being blown off like confetti in the wind. The Indian summer we had hoped for is a bit intermittent. When the sun shines it is here but most of the time it is cooler and raining. Shops are beginning to fill up with all things Christmas and the gardens are looking very sad for themselves.

Our SANEF bill for the tolls in French popped into our e-mail in box and finally we know how much we spent going through the peages on our way to Italy. It turned out to be a little below £200. Many of the tolls in the south of French were cheap - a few euros but by far the biggest toll was the one
Ruthin Ruthin Ruthin

Above the vale of Clwyd from Penycloddiau
home. The sure know how to sting the Brits on their way back to the ferry and the tunnel. A captive audience for sure. There was an exchange rate to pay but all in all we were happy enough with it. Yes you notice it more when you pay it in one lump sum but the extra was worth a lot. With only three weeks off work it isn't possible to amble from french village to village much as we would love to. We have to get to our destination before our holiday can begin and this is why we use the motorways rather than the other roads. Perhaps when we retire fully travelling along the slower roads and off motorways will be an option but not at the moment.

What have been the benefits of using the motorways and paying via the box rather than by cash or credit card . Primarily speed over ambling. Secondly not having to take tickets and wrestle with pay machines was a Godsend. Not having to remember to carry a credit/debit card or sufficient change to pay is a blessing . And lastly but best of all not having to lean out
Penycloddiau Penycloddiau Penycloddiau

Stone walling
of windows to reach the machine which always seems just too high or too low for the motorhome. Will we do it again next year? Of course without a doubt. We would struggle to get all the way down to Dubrovnik and home in time for work without using the motorways.

We have not received the Italian bill yet but this will be much less as we only used the motorways around Rome and Bologna.

Over the past three years we have tried to climb all the hills in the Clwydian range near to our home. So far we have climbed Moel Famau, Y Fenlli and Moel Arthur. Today it was the turn of Penycloddiau. The translation from Welsh of Penycloddiau is the hill of the trenches and this is most apt as it is yet another Iron Age hill fort with an impressive range of fortifications. It is the northernmost of all the peaks along this impressive range of hills. It lies entirely in the county of Denbighshire. Both the Offas Dyke Path and the Clwydian Way skirt along the ridge of the hill and around its western slopes.

The weather for our walk turned out
Ruthin Ruthin Ruthin

On Penycloddiau
lovely once the early morning mist had been burnt off by the weak and wan sun. It was cold and crisp - fine weather for walking. We parked on the almost empty car park and set off for the summit. The plan was to sit a while on the cairn at the top.

From the car park there is a choice of three walks and before setting off it is worth looking at the notice boards which show the routes of the paths and tell something of the history of the site, the landscape and the wildlife. The lower path which we ignored led down through the Llangwyfan forest and back to the road up to the carpark. Nor did we choose the narrow winding path to the right which snaked its way up the hill. This was perhaps a mistake as the small path would have led us straight up to the top. Instead we picked the middle path which meandered upwards. Yellowing bracken lined the pathside and conifers the banks. We walked for a while admiring the view across the Vale of Clwyd overlooking Ruthin. The hillside sometimes looking brooding in the light. It changes colour so frequently. After walking for some while we decided that we were no nearer the summit and if we continued would end up in Prestatyn. By this time the clouds were beginning to darken so we turned round and clambered up the bank to the higher footpath and made our way up on a second attempt to reach the top. In the end we had to give up as the rain came down steadily and softly dampening the grass.

We returned to the car park along the narrow top path which afforded good views on the path below and the valley but became muddied as we got closer to the car. The rain carried on falling gently. The summit would have to wait again . Climb it we would but not today.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.521s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 36; qc: 214; dbt: 0.3109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb