Death of Cold


Advertisement
Ukraine's flag
Europe » Ukraine
March 25th 2006
Published: April 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The winter was extremly cold, dozens died not only in Ukraine.

When I walked by this place in the early morning, I saw a man covered with that paperboard, some people standing next to him. He had died the night before.

Winter was almost over.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

53 Die of Cold in Ukraine
(Article by Agence France-Presse 25jan2006)

Kiev — Fifty-three people have died in Ukraine during the past 24 hours as a result of extreme cold, the health ministry said on Wednesday, bringing to at least 130 the number of deaths since temperatures plunged last week.

At least 538 people have been hospitalised as a result of the cold, most of them suffering from frostbite and various stages of hypothermia, said the ministry.

It was the largest number of people who had died during a single day since the current extreme cold snap began last week.

The largest number of deaths was registered in the eastern region of Donetsk on the border with Russia, where temperatures began plunging early last week and where 16 people died during the past 24 hours.

Like neighbouring Russia, Ukraine was gripped by severe temperatures starting last week, with the mercury dipping to minus 35°C in some parts of the country.

The Arctic temperatures have closed schools and mines and have strained the nation's heating and electricity system.

They have also sent energy consumption in Ukraine, the main transit route of Russian gas to Europe, to record levels, leading to a drop of supplies for several European countries that buy gas from Moscow.

On Wednesday temperatures rose slightly across Ukraine and forecasters expect the thaw to continue into the weekend.

source: http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1869371,00.html 25jan2006



Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb