Lake Lucerne


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
July 3rd 2011
Published: July 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Crossed over into Switzerland. The views are lovely. We are driving on the motorway but it is surrounded by huge mountains with some waterfalls. We are heading towards Lake Lucerne so need to take the Gottard Tunnel. This tunnel is 17km long, drilled through the Swiss Alps.
Arrived at our park in Vitznau on Lake Lucerne. Once again we have a stunning view from our caravan. Mt. Rigi is behind us and Lake Lucerne lies in front. The town of Vitznau is lovely with easy to manage streets – good for bike riding.
We took a trip into Lucerne (about 20km from Vitznau). I loved Lucern when I was here before and it is still beautiful. We visited the Lion Monument which was constructed in honour of some Swiss guards who died during the French revolution when they were defending a palace in France. The monument is of a lion with a sword piercing its side.
We also walked along the old Chapel bridge which was built in 1469. Lucerne was very busy with tourists but still seemed easily managed compared to other cities we have visited. Drove back to the van park through stunning countryside and little Swiss villages. Picture postcards everywhere.

2/07/11
Today we drove to the town of Engleberg (about 1 hr away) to take the rotating cable car up to Mt. Titlis (about 3200m). It was fairly cloudy up on the mountain but we had a great time playing in the ice and snow. The outside temp was -5 so fairly chilly. We had to take 3 different cable cars to reach the top and then we walked through a glacier cave. Then we ventured outside so Trevor and Nathan could experience their first time on the snow. We took a chair lift to Glacier Park which although freezing was a great opportunity to go over the top of the glacier with its many crevasses. At Glacier Park we all had a turn riding tubes down a specially prepared mountain slope. Nathan and Trevor also tried taboggoning and some little ice scooter things. Nathan had a couple of crashes which was enough for him. Trevor (crashed too) kept going and had a ball – he says it was one of his best days ever.

Took the cable cars back half way down the mountain and got off at the Middle Station. Walked around the lake that was there (took about and hour) and had close up experiences with Swiss cows – bells and all. It is quite amazing to be walking through these areas with mountains towering overhead and cow bells ringing all around. Love it!!!

3-07-11
After yesterday we are spending a quiet day around the van although having said that we decided to ride our bikes between our village of Vitznau and the one next door – Weggis. It took us 5km around Lake Lucerne. Today was a beautiful, sunny day and the ride was great.



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



3rd July 2011

LOVE IT
You have got to love Switzerland sunny down the bottom and all you have to do is get on a cable car and be in freezing weather!!!! I spent 6 weeks in Switzerland - and LOVED IT!!!! Looks like you are having a ball!!! Oliver keeps asking when you are coming back and I think the official answer is now when they get back!!! He is convinced that you'll only be back next year!. Oh well, there is is a great Jazz festival in Montreaux on lake geneva in August. Hang around till then!!! the tulips are out then as well.
5th July 2011

It is one of the most beautiful places. xxx
8th July 2011
Keeping warm

still got it!! or lucky in love ..trev
what a beautiful photo..:)

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb