Austria


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
July 4th 2011
Published: July 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

4-07-11
A spur of the moment decision has us leaving Switzerland and heading over the border through Leichtenstein, into Austria. We found our campsite, called Alpencamping after travelling a fairly windy mountain road. It is a beautiful spot with many luxurious features. If you wanted to check it out (indoor/outdoor pool etc) look up www.alpencamping.at. The amenities block was fantastic too. Lovely Austrian features with lots of knick knack thingys. Had dinner out at the van park restaurant overlooking the pool and of course the majestic alps.

6-07-11
Went for a drive into the town of Nenzing which is about 5km away from the van park. Pretty little village. This afternoon we joined a kids activity – a hike through the forest and meadows around the van park. Also had to decorate trees to look like people. Quite enjoyable although the guy who was leading it was very much like Russell Coit. More swimming in the amazing pool. Trevor managed to log onto the radio station that was playing the State of Origin and enjoyed listening to that for a while.
Met a couple of Brits who were travelling through Europe and found out some good places to visit when we head to Germany.
Have decided that Austria is now our favourite place in the world – besides Kingaroy of course. Food is not too expensive, the scenery is magnificent and the caravan parks are very high standard.

6-07-11
After talking with our Dutch neighbours about things to do in the area, we took a drive about an hour away from van park. We had to travel up a mountain through 28 hair pin turns. Some white-knuckle moments for sure. Again, gorgeous views for miles. At the top was a reservoir/lake (Lake Silvretta – 2037m high – almost as high as Mt. Kosciosko). The temp up there was about 15 degrees, that’s about 10 cooler than when we left van park. Had a look around and then found a farmhouse that was also part restaurant and had a nice Austrian lunch – beautiful hot chocolate too.
An old car rally was heading up the mountain as we were heading down so people were stopped on the side of the road to cheer them on as they went past.
Had drinks with our new British friends which was nice. Plan to catch up with them when we do our UK tour.
Dinner out in the van park restaurant again – great.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



19th July 2011

Wondering if you had dropped off the face off the earth had not heard anything for a while!!!! Sounds like you are having a great time. did you open a bank account in Leichtenstein, unfortunately you would have to declare that money to Australian goverment as of recently!! Austria you new favorite place in the world???..... Well it does have big bosomed woman serving beer.... that's Trevor organized but what about the rest. In sunny old Kingaroy things are COLD COLD and just incase you missed it the first time COLD!!!! Miss you all. Looking foward to photos Rees family

Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb