Innsbruck


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
July 7th 2011
Published: July 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

07/07/11
Leaving Nenzing today and heading off into the Tirol region of Austria. Planning to stay in a van park on the other side of Innsbruck. Stopped at the most amazing services area on the motorway. Buffet restaurant, gift shop – all done in a typically beautiful Austria way (I’m starting to run out of adjectives to describe the places we are seeing – both Trevor and I agree that you can never fully explain how beautiful it really is. Saw a tourist info spot on the highway so called in there to see if they could recommend any van parks on our side of Innsbruck.
Arrived at the Nattersee Van park – about 10km from Innsbruck. Again, the amenities building has to be seen to be believed. Unlike the last one which was beautifully, traditional Austrian, this one was the most modern have seen. There is a kids shower that when you press the button to turn on the water, lightning flashes and thunder rolls. There is an awesome miniature (toy) caravan display in the entrance to the amenties – have included some photos. (I know talking about caravan park toilets isn’t great, but you should see these places.)
This van park is situated on a little lake with lots of swimming facilities. There is a water slide starting up the hill and coming into the water, a huge floating trampoline and many other activities.

08/07/11
Took an easy drive into Innsbruck today – past the 1976 Winter Olympics ski jump and into the Old Town. Climbed the 148 stairs of the city tower (built in 1440) to get a good look at the Golden Roof. This structure was built in 1420 as the residence of the Tyrolean kings. It is covered with 2657 fine gilt copper tiles and was completed in 1500.
Walked through the cobbled streets of the old town and saw many beautiful buildings.
Back to van park for a nap and a swim.
Tonight we ventured back into Innsbruck to see a typical Tyrolean Folk Show. This was great entertainment. It included all sorts of traditional Austrian songs including yodeling and of course lots of thigh slapping dances. Nathan loved it. It was a late night – back to the van by 10.30pm. By the way, Trish drove home – night time and on the right hand side of the road.

9/07/11
Today after a late start we decided to catch the train and cable car up to Nordkette. We drove back into Innsbruck and caught the train (funicular) to the first station – stations are architecturally designed marvels. Then caught two cable cars to reach the top – Hafelekar (2256m). From here we could see mountains in every direction and Innsbruck nestled far down in the green valley below. Took a walk high up across Alpine meadows. Had a lunch at that altitude and then returned home to the van park.



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb