Austria-Germany


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
July 11th 2011
Published: July 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

0/07/11
Headed off to Salzburg today. Had to cross over into Germany and then back to Austria. Found the van park (a little disappointing after what we’ve been used to) and took a bike ride into Salzburg – about 10km round trip. Nathan is becoming a very proficient bike rider. Salzburg is lovely with lots of old buildings including the house where Mozart was born. Walked through the old part of town with about 10000 other tourists. Back to the park for a swim – Trevor a jog.

11/07/11
Decided to leave earlier than expected and have headed towards Munich. Crossed over the border again – said a very sad ‘goodbye’ to Austria and then headed further into Germany. Found a park just on the outskirts of Munich. Again took a bike ride to the closest shops – about 3km each way.
13/07/11
Caught the bus and then train to Marienplatz station in Munich – centre of town. Walked around the old town and then did the hop on- hop off bus around the town. Interesting town with lots of history. Most of the buildings where destroyed in WW2 but have been rebuilt in the same architectural style of old. Saw some historic WW2 landmarks including the building where the Nazi’s had their headquarters.
Walked to the Hofbrauhaus – the most famous beer hall in the world – can seat 2000 people. Had lunch and of course a beer (well, Trevor had the beer).
Took the train to the English Gardens which house the Chinese Tower – another beer garden (this one can seat 7000 people). Bit rainy today so after a busy day headed back to van.
Woken about 12am by noisy tour group having some sort of rock concert. Stopped about 2.30am. Finally went to sleep. Nathan of course heard nothing.

We have been away about 3 months now and are starting to miss home, I think – even Trevor. However, after talking to mum and finding out how cold things are back in Kingaroy, I think we’ll stay here until at least the end of August – will have to see how it all works out.

14/07/11
Left Munich and have headed towards the Black Forest. Big day of driving today – about 280km. Have pulled up in a van park near the town of Pfozheim. Nice, green park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb