Fondue


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Geneva
October 21st 2005
Published: October 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Old Town GenevaOld Town GenevaOld Town Geneva

We went to this crepe place, but apparently they only served croissants and a smoky atmosphere at 10AM...
We awakened to thick fog over the lake today. Only had the morning to explore before catching the train to Zermatt, so we walked over to the Old Town area to look around. We found a creperie for breakfast with a fantastic menu, however the proprietor explained they don’t actually serve crepes until after noon so we settled for crossaints and tea instead. A note on the crossaints: French crossaints taste like butter flavored air. They are so light that when you take a bite, the dough expands back to its original shape instead of sinking in like the knock-offs in the States! The cathedral was nearby so we stepped in to check it out; it was built in the 1300s! The Chapel of Macabees off to the side is amazingly beautiful. As a bonus, you can climb the steps (another circular staircase) to the towers above for a panoramic view of the city and lake. The fog was just clearing out so we were able to enjoy the view.

The scenery on the train ride to Zermatt was like something out of a picture book. The tracks follow Lake Geneva to Lausanne and then climb into the mountains. The fall foliage is in full swing. We are psyched to ride the Glacier Express on Sunday from Zermatt to St. Moritz!

Zermatt is situated at the foot of the Matterhorn. This must be the town Banff and Whistler are modeled after. My Dad skied here in 1968 and always speaks of it fondly so it is neat to see it in person for myself. We met up with Bryan and Chizzy here for the weekend - it’s great to see them! They prepared us a delicious fondue dinner with 2 kinds of cheese, bread, and apples. Very tasty. Tomorrow we’ll head up the mountain to take in the view.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Small ChapelSmall Chapel
Small Chapel

This is the best church we've seen so far. The small chapel is a side room of the main church and has its own organ and stained glass.
Fondue ExpertsFondue Experts
Fondue Experts

Making cheese fondue.
Fondue BeginnerFondue Beginner
Fondue Beginner

Bread duty only.
CheesyCheesy
Cheesy

Awww...


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb