En Route to Geneva


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
October 20th 2005
Published: October 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

This morning we returned to our favorite café (the correct one this time) for breakfast. We then took a stroll through the Place de Vogues (home to Victor Hugo) where we met a couple from Poland and took photos for one another. We had planned to pick up some sandwiches and treats for the train ride to Geneva at our favorite bakery on the island but found it to be closed at 12:15 PM! What?? There was no sign posting hours either. With only 10 minutes until the taxi to the station we weren’t sure what to do. I asked the shopkeeper next door what time the bakery would re-open and she explained they are closed on Thursdays and Fridays. However, she did direct us to another bakery around the corner where we were able to find some worthy items for the trip. My Grandma used to butter both pieces of bread on sandwiches, something I never do myself. But don’t knock a French bagette with thin sliced ham and nothing else save 3 pats of rich butter until you’ve tried it. Now I understand. Of course, this won’t work with the “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter” spread in the fridge at home…

When we got to Geneva, we exited on the wrong side of the station and so had to ask for directions. The lady who helped us did not speak English and gestured animatedly to explain the way. I noticed she made a thumbs up symbol to indicate take the 1st right. It’s interesting that counting mechanisms are different around the world. We start with our index finger, the French with their thumb, the Koreans start with an open hand and fold fingers in starting with the pinky.

We had some yummy gnocchi and soft-crust pizza with salami at a Swiss/Italian restaurant for dinner. We wandered - accidentally- into the red light district and promptly turned around and headed back to the hotel.


Advertisement



28th October 2005

counting
The thumb story brings back memories. When I was in the Italian part of Switzerland I ordered one cup of hot chocolate (held up the index finger). I got 2 cups! :) I love reading about your trip!

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb