The Hills Are Alive...


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Matterhorn
October 22nd 2005
Published: October 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Matterhorn and FallMatterhorn and FallMatterhorn and Fall

The gondola takes you up to the left side of the mountain... where the clouds are! It's over $50 for the single use ticket - no idea how much it would be for a ski pass!
Today we conquered the Matterhorn! Well, we didn't summit it per se, but did take the cable car up to the ski area for fantastic views of the peaks and Zermatt in the valley below. The pictures really do tell the tale better than I can. Words like magestic and awesome spring to mind...

We were up at about 9000 feet so it was very cold and windy up there. Cheryl and I immediately got altitude headaches but the guys seemed to be fine. Another example of our finely tuned female senses.

We decided to walk the second stage back down to the village via a field of sheep and a forest of changing leaves. I tried my hand at yodeling...didn't get quite the echo effect I was going for but fun nevertheless!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Zermatt from the GondolaZermatt from the Gondola
Zermatt from the Gondola

Zermatt is not unlike Whisler, Canada.
Halfway UpHalfway Up
Halfway Up

Two gondolas are required to get to the top vantage. Actually a third can be taken, but the top point was in the clouds.
Dances with Sheep LetterboxDances with Sheep Letterbox
Dances with Sheep Letterbox

The trees are actually all needle trees that change color - something we don't have in the Evergreen State.
Gondola UpGondola Up
Gondola Up

Chizzy was very brave, given the height.
Gondola DownGondola Down
Gondola Down

Looking back down to Zermatt. We remarked many times that it felt like we were in Lord of the Rings.
BreithornBreithorn
Breithorn

We were surprised how many people were skiing at this time of year.
Matterhorn MuffsMatterhorn Muffs
Matterhorn Muffs

One's ears get cold up on the mountain. The Matterhorn is actually behind Chizzy and Bryan, completely obscured by clouds.
Windy TripodWindy Tripod
Windy Tripod

The wind was so strong, it tipped the tripod. At the next station up (Klein-Matterhorn), the wind was 46km/h.
Summer SkiingSummer Skiing
Summer Skiing

Plenty of snow up here to ski/snowboard. Klein-Matterhorn is up there in the clouds; it's a smaller peak that you ski off of down to here.
SunbakeSunbake
Sunbake

Despite the clouds hanging around the mountains, we were able to chill (literally) outdoors.
Car ShadowCar Shadow
Car Shadow

Cable car shadow on the fall trees.
Autumn-WinterAutumn-Winter
Autumn-Winter

We hit Fall perfectly. Rare warm weather this time of year. It had snowed the week before.
Trail HomeTrail Home
Trail Home

CM and Bryan on the walk back down to Zermatt. The photographer never ends up in the shot! :-)
Quartz RoofQuartz Roof
Quartz Roof

Quartz tiles are mined and made just outside Zermatt, and form the roofs of many buildings and cabins.


Tot: 0.385s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 34; qc: 161; dbt: 0.1448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb