Back to Svedala


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Skåne County » Malmö
April 25th 2009
Published: April 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 25 April

Friday morning we said good bye to the couple who own Hotel Flora in Bad Grund. We had a terrific stay there with good food and lovely surroundings. We can really recommend it if you find yourself on your way through Germany one day.

And the witches? Yeah, it had something to do with Goethe and Faust, who had a connection to this Harz place. Every last of April they celebrate with a huge festival and the witches are all over the town, and everyone has their own witch disguise. And on top of that they build the worlds highest witch, 20 meter, they are listed in Guinness book of records for this, and over 10 000 people from northern Germany join the villagers for this enormous party!

Because of the high price level in Denmark, we decided to drive the 400 km to Flensburg near the border and stay the night there, and then drive directly to Malmö the next day. We found a little place in the countryside on the net that looked nice. “Historischer Krog and Romantik Hotel”, or something like that. The main building was “historischer” alright, and the staff wore uniforms and aprons and everything looked nice. But then we were led to an ugly building from the 60’s, where the rooms were, and they had pretty low standard for the price. It was nothing particularly wrong with the room, it was more the rate that gave you false expectations. (119 euro, a lot more than we are used to pay, like we were in Sweden or something…!)

Well, the breakfast was something extra after all (in the historischer main building…) A huge variety of everything, fancy some raw fish for breakfast (sill)? Choose between 14 kinds (I counted them) Champagne with your breakfast anyone? Sure, just go a head and poor yourself a glass from the bottle in the ice bucket.

When we checked out we asked for a place where we could buy some liquor before we left Germany (K suddenly realized that she’d like some Fernet Branca…). We were directed to a huge supermarket outside Flensburg, “The Scandinavian Center”, filled with booze, wine, beer and candy, and Danish people loading their carts with alcohol!

So, as you all know by now, our car hasn’t much space left, but we managed to squeeze in a
A pool!A pool!A pool!

But here the birds have taken over...
couple of Gammeldansk and a Fernet Branca. And under K’s paintings, on the floor behind her, we found a place for a box of beer, voila! But the price for e.g Jägermeister was much lower in the local shop in Bad Grund, so don’t take for granted that it’s cheap just because of an aggressive advertising. The shop was actually Danish, but on German ground, every price were given in Danish kronor and the staff was all Danish speaking. Strange place.

Today we’ve been driving 400 km to Malmö. All the “värdshus” in the countryside I’d looked up on the net, turned out to be closed during this weekend, so we ended up on this Best Western Hotel Jägersro in the outskirts of Malmö. Nice after all, large room, a nice balcony and a garden with a pond outside. Quite satisfactory for a big city hotel.

With all the “precious stuff” we now have in the car, we paid an extra 75 kronor and got the car inside a locked area with a huge steel gate and a three meter high fence. It will make us sleep better…

Btw, yesterday when I zapped the channels in Germany
Good after allGood after allGood after all

Ta have your wake up call by this little one!
I realized hockey VM is on. I watched the “nail biter game” France-Switzerland on the German sport channel DSF. Good to have something to look forward to when you get to back to good old Svedala…

/J





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Not summer anymore!Not summer anymore!
Not summer anymore!

We suddenly realized that we have travel backwards in time
Booze for scandinaviansBooze for scandinavians
Booze for scandinavians

Denmark in Germany. Much cheaper!
Loading your cartLoading your cart
Loading your cart

We talked to the couple before us in the line, they were from Skåne, and did this trip to Germany quite often. Loading their car with cheap stuff.
The Fyn bridgeThe Fyn bridge
The Fyn bridge

Quite impressing. We took a break just after the toll station on Själland, and had a marvelous hour on the beach. (Just when the battery in the camera died)


26th April 2009

Welcome to Svedala.
Nice to have you back soon, but I`ll miss your blog.I wouldn´t say you travel backwards, you have a wonderful Swedish spring and summer to look forwards, by the way,the Magnolia is flowering in Djurgården.Drive carefully with your valuable load.
26th April 2009

Happy birthday!!
Grattis, Josh 50 år!!! / Syrran m. fam.
27th April 2009

Welcome back!
Strongly advice to load the CD-player with the White Album and let the opening track fill the airwaves ;-) /Little J
27th April 2009

Thanks everyone!
Looking forward to see you all again! /J and K
27th April 2009

Aha, literary witches in Bad Grund. Sounds nice to be surrounded by:-) And welcome back! /Kia
28th April 2009

Yes, K!
You got to check this Faust guy up, and then you can tell us the story over a glass of wine, preferbly when we are dozing after a big dinner or so.... Thanks! /J

Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb