Saguntõ!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Sagunto
March 9th 2008
Published: March 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SaguntoSaguntoSagunto

really old house in the city of Sagunto.
Just a really quick entry because I have some good photos...we took a daytrip to hike the ancient roman ruins and castle of Sagunto yesterday and it was fabulous!! Loved all of it, even the train ride out because we got to see some of the Spanish countryside and the train ran along the beach so that was amazing as well.

A little background on Sagunto:

The resident's of Sagunto are said to be Spain's most courageous. This reputation dates back to the 3rd century BC, whent he citizens of the Phoenician-controlled Saguntum held out during an eight-month siege by Hannibal's Carthaginians. Some sources say that on the brink of annihilation, Sagunto's women, children, and elderly threw themselves into a made furnace, while others insist that they chose starvation over defeat. Perhaps because of their 2000 year history of continual invasion, inhabitants of Sagunto have developed a hard outer shell that allows them to be serious and efficient- no funny business here.

The highlight of the old town is an ancient kilometer-long castle, which survived the battle of Saguntum and Hannibal to be elaborated upon by the Romans, Visigoths, and Moors. The resulting architectural melange lies mostly in
SaguntoSaguntoSagunto

Cathedral in town.
ruin above the town and was declared a national monument in 1931. On the way up to the castle, is the Teatro Romano, which survived the controversial restoration to become a state-of-the-art outdoor stage. By the port, 4km from town, Sagunto's rolling, grassy beaches attract summer travellers.


That was taken directly from my Spain travel book lol.

Hope you guys enjoy the views as much as i did!

xxoo

britt


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

SaguntoSagunto
Sagunto

first sight of the castle range!
SaguntoSagunto
Sagunto

Sagunto and I
SaguntoSagunto
Sagunto

panoramic
SaguntoSagunto
Sagunto

i was a little scared to go down into the dungeons
SaguntoSagunto
Sagunto

ampitheater
SaguntoSagunto
Sagunto

family portrait picture lol
SaguntoSagunto
Sagunto

mona de Pascua- an Easter bread thing that Laudi gave us that we are supposed to eat either in the mountains or at the beach and it brings luck!


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb