First tour...


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » District of Madrid
January 11th 2006
Published: January 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The MetroThe MetroThe Metro

We traveled on the Metro to get to Plaza Mayor The Metro is so nice! They are clean and amazingly efficient ad much simplier to understand.
So after the culture and language lessons today, my little group had tapas. Tapas are just like small dishes that you share. Like everybody ordering one appetizer and passing it around, but it is actually the meal. Tapas are great and cheaper with larger groups.
After that we had a walking tour at night around the Plaza Mayor. The Plaza Mayor is basically just the old main square. For all our tours, the guides are just teachers. We have about 10 groups and only 2 are in English, but I'm in the English groups with my suitemates and Bart, Lindsay, and Greg. You can check out the pictures to know what I saw.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

SolSol
Sol

Sol is basically the center place in the city where everything is happening. This is just the one grand building.
Tio PepeTio Pepe
Tio Pepe

This is another view of Sol. It's just like Times Square in NYC to Madrid.
Sol StatueSol Statue
Sol Statue

This statue is one of the many past kings, Carlos II.
Plaza Mayor statuePlaza Mayor statue
Plaza Mayor statue

Another kings statue and this one is Felipe II.
The famous restaurantThe famous restaurant
The famous restaurant

This is the restaurant that Hemingway often ate at, but it's a little expensive so as my guide said, this is the restaurant your parents take you to when they visit.
For the Vargas'For the Vargas'
For the Vargas'

This is the Vargas palace with an attached church. I mean who doesn't have a personal place of worship.
Some cathedralSome cathedral
Some cathedral

This is supposedly an ugly new cathedral that took 100 years to build because no one wanted to give money towards the project. I thought it looked pretty, but whatever.
The royal palaceThe royal palace
The royal palace

The Royal Palace, but the king only goes there when like the US president comes. He really lives in the mountains outside of Madrid.
Another statueAnother statue
Another statue

I don't even remember which king this one was. I just remember something about the front being hollow to keep it standing, I think. I was falling asleep. Sorry!


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb