What a culture shock!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
June 22nd 2006
Published: June 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

hello again,

it is 3.44am at home and 7.44pm here.

this time from barcelona. and to say we hadnt got lost before! we certainly made up for it here. not long off the plane and we had totally gone out the wrong exit! we are waiting at the baggage claim for ages, couldnt see anyone from our plane! we cant even see our flight number on any of the screens! we just think oh well it might take some time! and everyone else must be duty free shopping! finally we bump into a 13 year old boy from our flight from america and he cant find his bag either! after about 30mins he finds out that we are in the wrong terminal! we have to go out and walk about 1km back to terminal B. meanwhile it is 32 degrees! we finally get to terminal B and our american boys runs off from us! we are stranded! oh well we ask someone and they tell us to go this way and up the stairs! it says departures, so we are confused!! we had to go back through customs! helen couldnt find her boading pass so we had to search for about 5 mins! we finally find the baggage claim and our lonley bags are on the belt! we get out and are hoping that our transfer guy hasnt left, it has been over and hour since our flight landed! we find him and walk to our mercedes car!
the drive takes about an hour, lots of roads works and back streets, i was starting to get a bit scared! he doesnt speak english! finally we get to civilisation and i see a Pharmacy! Farmacia! he laughs at me!

we arrive and set out for some tea, a bit nervous because we have heard it can be a little dangerous on La Ramblas. we walk with our eyes open and bags clutched. finally we find a resturant like subway, but they sell beer to minors! we go upstairs and sit and there are a young group of teenagers that are pissed and one has had her bag stolen with all her money and visas! oh my gosh. i just want to come home or go back to london!

we head for the hotel and some rescue remedy! outside our hotel is a courtyard and locals are throwing bungers at people! my heart is racing and we walk very quickly back to the safety of our hotel!

sleep finally comes about 1am.

Today we went on a hop on hop off bus tour. we can get on and off at designated stops and a bus comes past every 10mins. we set out at 8.45 and use our first euro atm. all ok!

the double dekker bus is topless! and we travel around barcrelona till 3pm. the highlights were a huge fountain at the museam of art, seeing the marina and seeing the city from the top of a huge fort.

We found out about a ferry to ibiza, it is overnight sleeping in seats not cabins, so we forfeit one nights accomadation in Ibiza that we have already paid for! oh well what can you do! it leaves at 9.30pm and arrives at 6.30am. it cost 113 euro.

it stays light till about 11pm here and it is warm.
i cant put'photos on this journal cos i am using the free one at the hotel, they dont let you plug in your things! i have taken 137phots already!

A day in barcelona tomorrow to shop and go to the beach. i used so much suncreen today and avoided getting burnt. we are feeling a little more confidant today and the places the bus tour went were a lot less crowded and filled with english speaking tourists. just like us!

love you all. hope you are well.
XXOO
Ps. Thanks for your comment jen! will send photos asap. i also had a photo taken outside Louis Vuitton.




Advertisement



23rd June 2006

:) :) :)
Spain sounds very scary, should be ok once you get to ibiza, party party party. Dont forget the sunscreen you dont want to end up a lobster for a week. Nothing much happeing here, same same. Weather is still horribly wet and cold. It rained on Grants birthday so I think he was pretty stoked. Couldnt get tickets to Lano and Woodley sold out :( Might take him out for dinner instead probably Hogs Breath. or maybe the Dragons game on saturday night if I can convince him. Oh well thats all for now, going to watch Big Brother. Cant wait for your next installment TTFN and take care, HI HELEN Hope you are behaving youself and not being a bad influenced on my Sister. Jen oxo Jen
25th June 2006

missing you
hey babe thought id say hello this way to im still missing you this week has flown by i think the weeks will get slower waiting for you to get home i have been talking to your mum nearly on a daily basis shes fine as long as she nows where you are anyway im off to bed now doggies are all tucked in nice and warm they send a lick ok then loving you looking at some photos talk soon bye for now
29th June 2006

miss you heaps
What a heart racing moment in spain. dont trust any spaniards. cant wait to see you love from me and everyone at blooms

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb