Barcelona 2010: Montserrat, Tuesday


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
March 23rd 2010
Published: May 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The weather forecast said Tuesday would be the best day for sun in the area so we chose Tuesday to go to Montserrat, since it's been said it isn't even worth it on a cloudy day. We metro'd to the train station and they have machines there that sell the combo train/funicular ticket and even people to help you if you need it. The train was a comfy ride.

When you first arrive you go in for a little video and then there's a small museum. IT had been cloudy on the ride up and when we came out of the museum, it was totally foggy. We had a light lunch overlooking - FOG- and then went inside the church, which is gorgeous. There was a LONG line of people waiting to see the Black Virgin so we decided to skip that and get seats for the boy's choir at 1 pm. While I held our places, Pat took more pictures of the interior.

Once the boys came onto the altar area, I noticed there was no line for the Virgin anymore. Either it was shut down or everyone was sitting in church - so pat went to check it out and a minute later I saw him go rushing past where the line had been, and then i saw him up at the Virgin! She's above/behind the main altar. So when he returned, I did the same thing! No waiting, and I could still hear the boys singing!

When we got back outside, the sun was out! Now we had beautiful views that we appreciated even more because we had not seen a thing earlier! So we took the funicular to the ST. Joan lookout and hiked around until the clouds started rolling back in. When we got down to the monastery, it was sunnier than ever.

We bought some things in the gift shop and then took the transportation back to the train station and back to Barcelona.

Montserrat is an easy day trip and a must-see - but you do want sun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

funky angel outsidefunky angel outside
funky angel outside

You go past her after seeing the Virgin, on the way back into church


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb