Spain/Portugal


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Catalonia » Barcelona
March 26th 2006
Published: March 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ola,

With a combination of siesta's, bullfighting, juicy oranges, tapas, good weather, monuments, architecture, the beach and royal palaces, just to name a few highlights, our two and a half weeks in Spain and Portugal was some experience. Seville, our first port of call is a very colourful city with one of the biggest cathedrals in the world, beautiful parks and gardens, orange trees (which had the juicest oranges Wes has ever tasted) growing on the streets and the Real Alcazar (royal palace) as the main highlights.

Off to the south coast of Portugal, we were blessed with some much needed sun after the English winter. Although we went to a very touristy region (The Algarve), because it was spring there weren't too many tourists around. Steep and rocky cliff faces along the coastline made the area a great place to soak in the sun and do some exploring and relaxing (which is exactly what we did).

Madrid was next on the list. It was here that we really noticed how much the Spanish love the nightlife. At about 7pm, the locals just come from nowhere, where they eat tapas and drink till dinner (about 10pm). We visted
Seville's Royal PalaceSeville's Royal PalaceSeville's Royal Palace

The gardens at the Real Alcazer
another royal palace (Palacio Real), lunched al fresco at the Plaza Mayor (Madrid's main sqaure), visited the Musee Del Prado (Prado Museum), went to a bullfight (only Wes went), went bargain hunting at El Rastro street market and generally soaked up the atmosphere. The weather wasn't as nice in Madrid (it rained quite a bit) but the beautiful city made up for it.

Barcelona was rated the best city in the world on an English television show we watched shortly before we visited and it didn't disappoint. With great weather, crazy arhitecture, the Mediterranean sea on it's doorstep, resturansts, shopping, and La Rambla (a one kilometre strip to the sea which has a continous carnival atmosphere) it is well worth another visit. The highlight would definitely be the La Sagrada Familia, a temple to celebrate Jesus, which started construction in 1882 and will not be complete until 2030! The detail on this building is just amazing.

We're now back in England, and while the weather is nothing compared to what we had in Spain it is better than before we left. Daylight saving has just started and we're well into planning our next trip, which is to London over Easter.

Bye for now,

Wes and Vic



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



27th March 2006

So Jealous
School started up again today after the 1st term holidays and I read this email from you and I'm so upset right now. Thanks a lot! Seriously though missing you and glad to see you're having so much fun!
27th March 2006

Spain trip
Loved the photos, Wes and Vic..keep 'em coming! La SEgrada Familia incredible - lovely to be sharing your experiences this way, and thinking of you as ever! Thanks. Keep well - Camberwell Ifesxxx
27th March 2006

You are soooo lucky .....
I love getting the updates - but it does cause me much anx as I wish that I were experiencing similar things. Am thrilled that you are just enjoying it and getting to see so many wonderful sites. The College continues to be the same and yet change alot .... biggest news of course is Fay's engagement .... now we await the next phase - the wedding. Take care and continue to explore and enjoy.
27th March 2006

You are soooo lucky .....
I love getting the updates - but it does cause me much anx as I wish that I were experiencing similar things. Am thrilled that you are just enjoying it and getting to see so many wonderful sites. The College continues to be the same and yet change alot .... biggest news of course is Fay's engagement .... now we await the next phase - the wedding. Take care and continue to explore and enjoy.

Tot: 0.425s; Tpl: 0.041s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb