Chester and Lakes District


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
January 29th 2006
Published: January 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

HIYA! (Very English greeting)

January has been a month of mainly working, however we have been lucky enough to have some visitors and a couple of English outtings. First of all James (my brother), and his friends Stu and Lyndel came to visit for three nights and it was SOOOOOO good to have visitors! They arrived pretty jet lagged, but recovered enough to visit Chester and Beeston Castle. Chester is a lovely Roman town surrounded by Roman walls built close to the Welsh/English border about 45 minutes from here. Beeston Castle is in ruins, but has great views of England (the best views from a castle in this country according to some). Sadly James, Stu and Lyndel left last Sunday to go to London and on to the rest of their holiday.

However, we weren't sad for long as we had this weekend to look forward to....A trip to the Lakes District (2 hours north of here) with Ben and Caroline, two of Wes' friends from south England (Canterbury).

The Lakes District is very very picturesque - where mountains meet the lakes. A lot of famous poets, painters and other artists have been inspired here, and it's easy
James opening his birthday presentJames opening his birthday presentJames opening his birthday present

James arrived the day after his 21st birthday to an array of presents from us.
to see why. It bought out the photographer in all of us! We stayed in a cute little stone cottage and had perfect weather!! (Sunny with no wind - perfect English winter weather!!). It was still cold, but it was nice feeling sun on our faces! On Friday night after Ben cooked us chicken parmas (in commemoration of Australia Day) we just chilled and played backgammon and cards. On Saturday we explored the district by car, visiting many of the local towns and lakes, all of which were very peaceful and tranquil. Saturday night we tried the local pub for dinner. This morning, after a brief explore, we unfortunately had to come home, even though the weather was still beautiful. Luckily we didn't have to drive as far as Ben and Caroline!!

With the sun still shining the afternoon we went for a short walk in Tatton Park and Wes, feeling very energetic, vacuumed the car. Ah, life is grand.

We have plans to explore England more in February, before our trip to Spain and Portugal in March.

Keep in touch!

Love Wes and Vic


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Vic and JamesVic and James
Vic and James

Just before he headed off to London
Ben and CarolineBen and Caroline
Ben and Caroline

A lovely place we found to have a picnic lunch
Lake WindemereLake Windemere
Lake Windemere

The largest lake in the Lakes District
The place we stayedThe place we stayed
The place we stayed

We were only in part of it....
Wes recapturing his youthWes recapturing his youth
Wes recapturing his youth

Skimming rocks on Derwentwater


29th January 2006

Fabulous photos
Vic - either your camera is really good, or you are a great photographer, or else the views are so amazing that it is impossible to make them look bad. It looks like a really special weekend away.
30th January 2006

looks gorgeous
I haven't been there but it looks terrific - one of us is a great skimmer - and good skimmers have to keep their arms in!

Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb