Spain 16 - Don Quoxite, Sancho Panza and tilting at windmills


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Castile-La Mancha » Consuegra
May 17th 2014
Published: May 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The rust coloured earth changed to nutty brown as we moved closer to the hottest part of Spain. It was still difficult driving and we have found we need to get on the road early to miss the hottest parts of the day when the temperature gets up to over 30 degrees. This makes for some pretty steamy driving sessions and we try to get to our campsite of the day early to avoid the worse of it.



Our next stop was going to be the hottest place we probably would encounter on the trip but on the way we would head for one of the windiest . I have never read Cevantes novel Don Quixote . Have you? It is the story of the knight from La Mancha who with his trusty compatriate Sancho Panza who have many adventures . These include tilting at the windmills of La Mancha.



These windmills are still there dominating the hillside and we wanted to see them . Consuegra is best place to do it. Just to add to the interest there is a castle but this is not what we were going to see. The windmills are the stars of the show. The town of Consuegra is rather sleepy and Glenn negotiated Suzy through the narrow streets. White houses reflected the suns glare even at 10 in the morning.







The road up reminded me of Vesuvius as it wound its way upwards. Just enough room for one car and the odd place to pull over. Many walkers seemed to be going up as if this was their morning work out session rather than the local gym . And buses came in with school children on a trip out to see the windmills. One other lonely motorhome from Holland was parked up at the top of the hill.



The windmills stand white on the top of the hill and it was easy to see why they were here. The wind blew. A total contrast to a few hundred feet below in the town where there wasn’t a breeze in sight. At the valley bottom the air was still. What a difference a few hundred feet made.

The introduction of the windmills was made by "Caballeros Sanjuanistas", who brought these machines that helped millers.. The windmills were transmitted from fathers to sons.



We passed three of the windmills immaculately painted white and gleaming. Obviously national treasures and well looked after . One of which was open to visitors. They each have a name. Further up the road wound and another three appeared . Pristine white with wooden sails. And then we saw the castle which was open to the public but as there were about 80 school kids waiting to go in we passed by and parked Suzy up. A view over the valley was our reward with a view of all the windmills to the left and right of us. It was stunning in a very simple way.



We walked up to our chosen windmill, She was called Rucio. Each had a name although the names now are new ones given to the mills in 1963. Only one is original. The rest have been rebuilt. , We paid our 3 euros entry fee which included two cans of Sprite. I guess they felt that 1 euro 50 seemed a lot to ask the public to pay when there was so little to see inside. We would happily pay it as you cannot see this type of windmill in Britain and it is so iconic. The young lady who took our money smiled, handed over the ticket and the drink and explained we needed to go up the stairs. These narrow stairs led to a first floor of miniscule proportions and without windows. What the original purpose was I have little idea however it now had a desk , a computer and free WiFi access. Novel we thought. Having been to Stainsby Mill in Derbyshire we couldn’t imagine an internet point in the middle of the mill workings but here …………….well you just accepted it.



The next floor was reached via a rickety old staircase with rope handrail. . It was breezy and cold when we got to the top to say the least. There were windows all round and many opened. An explanation said that the miller would arrive in the morning and open all the windows. From this action he would be able to tell easily which way the wind was blowing and adjust his sails accordingly.







The whole workings of the mill were intact from the wooden structure which provided the power to the metal revolving roof. The mill stone was intact and it was clear that if they chose now they could set the sails to drive and the mill could still grind corn.



The next part of our drive was from Consuegra to Cordoba and Camping Alberovoli . We called for dinner at a restuaurant just off the road but failed to get served . Giving up we drove a little further to the next one. Not the best of meals – greasy chicken, a sort of tasteless meat stew and greasy potatoes . Probably the worse meal so far this trip. But then you win some and you lose some. This was the lose some and it did fill a hole if nothing else.



The roadside verges changed colour. The yellow is still there but now it is interspersed with Oleanders in pinks, white and reds. We criss crossed the Guadalquivir river – one of those major rivers of the world. Those of us of a certain age will remember studying the Guadalquivir . We arrived at our campsite just after 3 in the tiny town of Villafranca de Cordoba. There are two possible campsites within striking distance of the city. This one 22 kms distant and Camping Brilliante within walking distance. This one sounded nicer after reading all the reviews. Whilst Brilliante would have offered us an easier route to the city and possibly the chance of going in more than once we didn’t fancy it. Alberofoli is another ACSI site out of season offering cheap camping rates . Anywhere between 14 and 18 euros although we have only ever found two sites offering 14 euros . Most are around 16 euros per night. Reception was open and friendly and bread could be ordered for the next day. They took in washing at a cost of 8 euros, washed and dried it and returned it to you next day. There was a bar with free WiFi but this was closed and WiFi wouldn’t work. We had to try our EuropaSim which did work. We took the opportunity to reload it with euros which mean that we can use the WiFi on it when we have no other access to the net. There was a swimming pool which was open and a supermarket albeit a small one in the town. The bus for Cordoba left from the town. We were given a map and a bus timetable . On a weekday the bus left at 8.00 or 9.30 and returned 12.00, 1.30 or 3.30 . There were less buses at the weekend.





Tomorrow we would use the bus to visit the Islamic influenced city of Cordoba. That should be stunning in a different way. The beauty of motorhoming is that you can do different things every day. Each day is a new adventure with a new view out of the windows.



Reading material has changed and it is now Theodore Boon a 13 year old American schoolboy would be a lawyer who gets himself involved in court case. By the writer John Grisham it is a special edition World Book Night Offering. I picked up 18 copies and distributed them amongst work colleagues to try to encourage the love of reading. Whilst Glenn puzzled away in his puzzle books I read the book. Perhaps more reading is required when on holiday – in Provence – a Year in Provence by Peter Mayle, In Venice The Stones of Venice by Ruskin – in Sicily – Inspector Montalbano . There must be a story to fit any location if you look hard enough.

Advertisement



18th May 2014
Windmills in La Mancha

Don Quoxite
This photo reminds me of the wonderful windmills in Greece. Beautiful.
19th May 2014
Windmills in La Mancha

greece
Never been to Greece but would love to . Any recommendations

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb