Pamplona


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » San Sebastián
July 7th 2006
Published: July 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After initially being told the bullring was sold out I managed to score us some tickets. We were there at 6.30am so we had an hour and a half to kill.
Met a couple of Aussies adn a New Zealander in the queue who helped to keep us amused.
A casual exhibitionist ran through the arena about half an hour beforehand, he was prancing and being a general wanker (must be an aussie!) Then some military police came out, surrounded the outside of the arena, before one of the macho cops ran and spear tackled him.

At 8am a whole lot of people started running through the stadium. A few women at the beginning defying the tradition, these people must not have been anywhere near the bulls, because in the next couple of minutes, more and more people were flooding through, checking over their shoulders with increasing levels of anxiety written on their faces.

By the time the bulls entered the arena it was absoluely chockers. Everyone cheered themselves and went crazy but this was merely the beginning. Over the next 45minutes bulls were released at random. The little black ones tended to be very fast adn agro.

One guy kept getting right in front of the bulls and attempted to ride them, jumping on to the hornsa dn trying to drag them down. The spanish are really respectful of the bulls and hate this type of behaviour. A chant in Spanish began saying ¨The guy in black is a son-of-a-bitch¨ Later on I heard he was actually bashed by the spanish.

I saw heaps of people charged and quite a few trampled, especially the idiots waiting at the gaits for the bulls to be released. One guy had to be taken off on a stretcher, he broke his neck and is permenantly paralysed as a result.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb