San Sebastian


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » San Sebastián
May 17th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Who would have thought after running away from Nantes that the rain would follow me down here. Oh well liked the place so much that I´m going to stay for a few days anyway before working out where to next.

San Sebastian really comes alive in summer, the major selling point for the pension that I´m staying in is that it is close to La Concha beach. La Concha beach is a crescent shaped beach that you can imagine covered in the finest of Spanish beauties taking in a little sun, the reality is that´s it not quite summer yet so the only birds on the beach are a couple of wet seagulls.

But there are other features that make San Sebatian a place worth stopping, the cathedrals, the plazas, the old town and of course all the tapas that you can eat. Then there is the big religous statue that overlooks the city, all 30 metres of her.

The beauty of having a car is that you can go where you want, when you want, the disadvantage is finding somewhere to park it in cities that were built about 1 000 years before the car was invented. As always there are some enterprising businesses that will look after it for you for a nominated fee, in this case €15 a day. Which for the time that I´m staying here works out to be another nights accomodation or what I spend on tapas for the three days. Parking in the street and paying for parking wasn´t really an option either as the parking police are the most savage that I have ever seen. They circle just waiting for a ticket to expire and within milliseconds have it booked. Remembering that I left the car for seven days in a back street of Split last year, I decided to try the same plan. Well fortunately up the hill was some nice appartment blocks with free parking right out front. Just move it to a new spot each day and all is good.

The novel thing about parking is that you don´t pay for it between 12.30pm and 2.30pm because this is nap time. Plus after 8.00pm park where you want, just feed the meter so you´ve got the first couple of hours covered in the morning.

After a few days roaming the streets and turning Spanish, I´m
No room for drinks on this barNo room for drinks on this barNo room for drinks on this bar

Three of these local delicasies and a glass of red €4.60 got to be happy with that.
now a big fan of the nanna nap, it´s nearly time to move on to the next stop. Knowing where this will be would be a bonus, but at the moment I´m just waiting to see what comes up. Looking at theweather it looks like it´s going to be further south in the feeble attempt to find sun, or to bring drought breaking drizzle to another part of Europe.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Tell them the priceTell them the price
Tell them the price

This nice piece of dried ham is only 396 Euros.
They like sculptures hereThey like sculptures here
They like sculptures here

This is Construction Vide located at Paseo Nuevo
The numbered units overlooking Plaza de la ConstitucionThe numbered units overlooking Plaza de la Constitucion
The numbered units overlooking Plaza de la Constitucion

The Plaza used to be a bullring at one time and all the appartments have their numbers on the front


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0862s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb