Day 51 - Rock and Roll


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia
August 21st 2023
Published: August 21st 2023
Edit Blog Post

The cabin at Gobcikovo was very functional. We had plenty of room, separate bedrooms, a kitchen, fridge and separate lounge room, but (there's always a but), it was dated and I'm not sure how to say this, did seem to be what we are expecting more of as we travel further into Eastern Europe.
We left for Komarno just before 8:30am. We rode on the levee bank most of the day again. This meant velvet smooth asphalt for all but a couple of short sections of gravel and concrete, which in turn meant we travelled quite quickly (for us).
The river was not visible for most of the day because of a green belt that was on the outside of an intricate twisting of little river ways splitting off the Danube. The path had barriers across it every so often with a small opening big enough for a single bike to pass through with a speed bump. There was usually a worn track on the grass around the barriers where everyone rode. After going over the speed bumps a number of times, Tom decided he'g go around the next one. He picked the wrong one - this particular barrier had bollards either side of it and he tried to squeeze between the bollards, his front pannier clipped the bollard dropping his bike and sending him flying. Now for an old bloke he did really well. It was a front tumble roll and straight back up on his feet as if nothing had happened. We stopped to check he was OK (and he was) and the bike was good to go (and it was), so on we went.
It was very hot again today. We had finished our ride before midday and had lunch in a park before going to our accommodation and it was well over 30C by then. A bit later we went for a walk and a temperature gauge was showing 37C, very glad we didn't have to ride in that.
To show the variation, we are staying at an apartment in Komarno that is the upstairs of a private residence and it is absolutely fabulous. It has 3 separate sleeping areas a kitchen, bathroom, washing machine, fridge, air conditioning, it's sensational, all for the princely sum of $133 for the night. I hope we get more of these surprises than last night's.
Tomorrow we are heading to Sturovo, another shortish 50km ride.
Distance travelled today: 54kms
Distance travelled so far: 2,703kms

Notes:


• Cows milk is hard to find, and fresh cows milk is even harder to find. They seem to live off Long Life Milk mostly with just the exotic milks available fresh.
• The supermarket prices seem to be getting cheaper too.
• Packs of cigarettes (20s) sell for about 5 euros, that's roughly $8.30



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb