Day 50 - Into Slovakia


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Trnava Region
August 20th 2023
Published: August 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Last night our hotel manager gave us some tips for dinner and we ended up going to the "Slovak Pub" for dinner. It was a very authentic local pub outside of Old Town. We had a share plate to start with which had 3 dishes, one was noodles, ones was something that looked (but didn't taste) like a ravioli, and the third I'm not sure what it was but it did have an unfamiliar taste to it. For main I had a goulash with home made bread while Jeff and Tom both had potato dumplings filled with some sort of meat (pork I think). It's great to taste the local cuisine and it's always good to know if you can't find anything you like there's always a pizza place wherever you go.
Today we literally hugged the Danube shore line for all but about 5kms when we were leaving Bratislava. That was to first skirt around an industrial area and then we went through a green belt and then back onto a levee wall next to the river. This is both good and bad. It's great because navigation is easy but you are fully exposed in the sun the whole time. The path surface is exellent, better than I expected, and we make pretty fast time all morning.
At some point down stream the Danube has been walled to creat a massive lake area. It a recreational area for boating, fishing, canoeing and just about any other water sport you can think off. We see people out roller blading, riding bikes, riding horses and going for runs. People are really out enjoying the river.
We're in no hurry and with only about 6kms to go before we reach our accommodation we decide to stop for lunch as we see a sheltered picnic stop in the shade off to the side of the levee wall. Back on the bikes after we eat and we reach Nimrod Cabins by 1:00pm. They look quite quaint. Each cabin is two storeies. Ours has three bedrooms, 6 single beds and 1 double bed. I'm sure well be able to spread out and keep out of each others way. The town we are just outside of, Gabcikovo, is quite small at just over 4000 people, but I'm sure we'll be staying at some much smaller places before we're done. At least there are some decent supermarkets here for us to do some shopping at.
Distance travelled today: 53kms
Distance travelled so far: 2,649kms


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb