Day 52 - Another Stamp in the Passport


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Esztergom
August 22nd 2023
Published: August 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Historic markerHistoric markerHistoric marker

Historic marker in town relating to the break up of Hungry after WW1
We walked into Komarno last evening before dinner and saw some of the sites of the this historic town. There is a lovely town square where the buildings are well restored and painted with lots of restaurants around. It looks very inviting. You only have to go a street or two back though and the age and "wear and tear" are plainly visible. Dinner was at an italian restaurant where the food was quite good.
This morning we left our lovely lodgings after a chat with our host at about 8:30am and it was already hot. Not much we can do about that except try and have our rides finish as early as possible when the temperature is this high. You leave town and it becomes rural almost immediately and we're back riding on the levee with the river on our right. Again, it's obscured for most of the day by the line of trees that try vienly to spread some shade over the bike path. We notice the heat more when we stop as we lose the evaporative cooling effect we generate when riding, so we only stop in the shade.
Our morning break was sitting on the grass in the shade by the river eating some grapes we bought from someone selling them out the front of his house.
The ride today is not that long and we approach Sturovo at about 11:40am. There is a large dome visible from some way out that dominates the horizon. We can't check in until 1pm so we find a shady spot in town and sit down and have our lunch and grab a cool drink (me), ice cream (Jeff) and coffee (Tom). As 1pm approaches we leave the square and cross the bridge and the "dome" we saw comes into full view on the hill on the opposite bank. There is a massive church and ancient Roman fortification standing over the town. We navigate to our accommodation and it is directly beneath the church.
Our host meets us and shows us through the house. It's another sensational place, it's a house actually, and we have all of the creature comforts we need. We're beginning to get used to this. The other big point is when we crossed the bridge we moved from Slovakia to Hungry, country number 8 for Jeff and I.
This afternoon's task will be to go see that church and roman fortification.
Tomorrow is a longer riding day of about 80kms and we're off to Budapest and will have a rest day there.

Distance travelled today: 52kms
Distance travelled so far: 2,755kms


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.328s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb