Background: Hungary was part of the polyglot Austro-Hungarian Empire, which collapsed during World War I. The country fell under Communist rule following World War II. In 1956, a revolt and announced withdrawal from the Warsaw Pact were met with a massive military intervention by Moscow. Under the leadership of Janos KADAR in 1968, Hungary began liberalizing its economy, introducing so-called "Goulash Communism." Hungary held its first multiparty elections in 1990 and initiated a free market economy. It joined NATO in 1999 and the EU in 2004.
Photos from Esztergom
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Esztergom
Latest Blogs from Esztergom
- October 17th 2010 Pilisi Kiskör, nagy létszámmal.
by Words: 398 Photos: 7
- May 11th 2009 Visegrádi kiruccanás
by Words: 114 Photos: 27
- April 15th 2009 Börzsönyi Magaslatok aprilis 2009
by Words: 10 Photos: 42
- July 11th 2008 Pilisi Konemara túra juli2008
by Words: 205 Photos: 20
- October 13th 2007 Obesity is the vogue here
by Words: 671 Photos: 16
- August 17th 2005 G'day Hun?
by Words: 1306 Photos: 19