Pictures From Dec. 1


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Muntenia » Bucharest
December 2nd 2008
Published: December 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Gheorge Sincai SchoolGheorge Sincai SchoolGheorge Sincai School

On the corner of Sincai and Tineretului Boulevards.
First, to clarify: Boulevard (self explanatory), Strada (Street), Calea (Way), Piata (Square)...

Sunday, November 30 was election day.
Monday, December 1, was a national holiday celebrating 90 years since Romania united its provinces (more or less). This is why there are a lot of flags out and about.

I started a long walk from Boulevardu Tineretului, up to Piata Unirii, and then cut over to Strada Lipscani. I took lots of pictures from the streets around Lipscani, including Smardan, Franceza, Selari Nicolae, Doamnei, Hanul cu Tei, etc...Then, I got on Calea Victoria, passed Piata Revolutiei and continued up Victoria until I reached Piata Victoriei. I have included a link to a good map of Bucuresti, so you can get an idea of the layout:

http://www.sapteseri.ro/en/map/bucharest/

It was a very foggy day and remember it is December, so it looks gloomy enough. I took pictures mainly of buildings and architectural details, though I also took a lot of pictures of graffiti. The graffiti drew me because it was either really weird or funny. I'll translate where necessary.

I have given some information in each caption, so enjoy! I will go back and fill in any information I
Church on hill in Tineretului ParkChurch on hill in Tineretului ParkChurch on hill in Tineretului Park

Out of my window, taken on an afternoon.
left out. I'm not sure when. Or where I will take my camera next.


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Where Boulevards meetWhere Boulevards meet
Where Boulevards meet

At the intersection of Tineretului and Sincai Boulevards.
The Palace on the HillThe Palace on the Hill
The Palace on the Hill

This is a night picture of the Parliament Building, which was built by Ceausecu. Inside it is a strange, empty place. It is the largest structure in Europe, squarefoot wise.
Urban Improvement?Urban Improvement?
Urban Improvement?

Before the elections, all the local politicians scrambled to build something they could show off. This interesting piece is found near the entrance of Tineretul Park.
Banners in the WindBanners in the Wind
Banners in the Wind

The campaigns were our in full force when I got here. They had tents filled with young people handing out campaign literature, that ended up on the ground. And lots of hanging banners. The first two banners read: "You before all others". The second banner reads: "Choose the man you know" and, lower down, "He really did something".
Curtea Veche ChurchCurtea Veche Church
Curtea Veche Church

"Curtea Veche" means the "Old or Ancient Court". Near by to this church is the remains of what was the first court built in Bucuresti before it was the capital. It is near Lipscani, on Strada Franceza.
RenovationRenovation
Renovation

There are loads of renovations being made around Lipscani and the older streets nearby, which were owned by guilds and was the oldest commercial district in Bucuresti.
Close upClose up
Close up

Detail of previous photo.
Curtea VecheCurtea Veche
Curtea Veche

The ruins of what was the stronghold of the ancient Voivodes (sort of regional lords). It was once the residence of Vlad Tepes (yes, he inspired "Dracula"...but don't get me started down that road) and had been changed from a fortress to a palace and has been hit by many natural and human disasters. The Turks burned it down several times and there were earth quakes and other troubles.
Center of TownCenter of Town
Center of Town

Hard to believe, but right in the middle of these beautiful bulildings was a trash pile. This is what I meants about the ugly.
Strada SelariStrada Selari
Strada Selari

I am pretty sure this is Selari, but I will double check some time. I had an apple turnover right on the corner.
DetailsDetails
Details

The whole area around Lipscani is very beautiful and old. It escaped being buldozed by Ceausecu and being turned into rows of gray apartment buildings by some miracle. This area is the only part of Bucuresti where you can begin to imagine why it was once known as "Little Paris".
St. Dumitru ChurchSt. Dumitru Church
St. Dumitru Church

This church was closed, so I didn't get a chance to go inside. It is on Sfantu Dumitru Street, so I am going to guess that is its name. There was lots of construction going on down the street.
St. Dumitru, new viewSt. Dumitru, new view
St. Dumitru, new view

Another angle of the St. Dumitru church. The willow looked very lovely in the mist.
Strada PosteiStrada Postei
Strada Postei

This building was on Strada Postei (Post Street), which was under consturction. From the way it is placed, I think it is the back of the history museum.
Teatrul de ComedieTeatrul de Comedie
Teatrul de Comedie

The Comedy Theatre was on St. Dumitru street, right across from the church. There was this guy in the door way who looked very drunk.
Teatrul de Comedie, detailTeatrul de Comedie, detail
Teatrul de Comedie, detail

A detail of the facade of the Comedy Theater
Graffiti 1Graffiti 1
Graffiti 1

A series of three works of graffiti, all done on three panels of a building down and across the street from the Comedy Theater. I got a lot of strange looks for taking these pictures.
Graffiti 2Graffiti 2
Graffiti 2

See Graffiti 1. And yes, that says "Jesus smokes Gold". Not sure what it means.
Graffiti 3Graffiti 3
Graffiti 3

See Graffiti 1.


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0645s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb