Beautiful Portugal!


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Madeira
November 5th 2008
Published: November 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we are in Funchal, Portugal. It is sunny and warm! We woke up to learn (or confirm I should say) that Obama won. We were up at 7am as we are all on a tour of the island today. Latte's and cinnamon roll and down in lounge by 8am.
This is a tropical island, with temperate climate; so beautiful; flowers and banana trees everywhere. Bouginvillas are native here; the flowers are purple. The island has 150,000 inhabitants; average income of 550 Euros per month. Because of this low salary many natives go abroad to work to save enough money to some day come back to build a home. The island is very hilly, each home has a small garden; perhaps bananas, vegetables and fruits. They produce a lot of molasses here.
As we climbed the hills, I saw a poinsettia plant growing wild. We stopped at a cliff in Cabo Giaro overlooking the ocean. A man was playing a flute and Annie and Minnie danced. Annie bought a funny looking hat to give to someone; I won't say who.
The hills are filled with acacia and eucalyptus trees, imported from Australia. We then stopped in Pica de Torre, a town sitting on a volcanic cone. Below we can see a fishing village where we they fish for "espada" fish. I love to say the word and I drive Kenny crazy saying it over and over. I still can't curl my r's. Winston Churchill painted in this village.
We then go to Funchal sea front and visit a winery. the wine again is very sweet and we do not like it. But Minne and Jack do, so we give them all of our tickets for our wine tasting. We left them at the winery. Walked around the town, did not buy anything. They were putting up Christmas decorations. Hard to believe it is almost Thanksgiving.
We stopped for a drink; the boys had 'costal' beer and the girls had a mixed drink: a kiwi mixed drink: not so good, tastes like milk. We had a long walk back to the ship. It was sunny and warm so we laid out on the deck, snoozed and read book.
Madeira is beautiful; We watched as our ship moved from the dock to set sail.
Dinner, reading and bed time.
Mick~~ your Auntie Annie says 'Happy belated Birthday' and sends her love.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



14th November 2008

55 euros?
"...average income of 550 Euros per month..." not 55 eheh
15th November 2008

Oops!
Thanks; so many typos! Trying to rush at 55 cents/minute!

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb