More Fresvik


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Sognefjord
August 31st 2008
Published: August 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

FresvikFresvikFresvik

This picture is taken from the public beach looking back at Fresvik
I just can't believe how beautiful this place is. It is so peaceful and calming. Yesterday we met Olav and his wife, Øydis at the hut for breakfast. They have renovated the original hut that they family used to milk the cows and bring the sheep down from the moutains. This is what Olav and Øydis were on their way to do that day. The hut looks old and original from the outside but the section that used to be for hay storage is now a bedroom. It was like a playhouse. Very cool!!!

Then we hiked all the way up to the end of the valley where there is two waterfalls coming down from the glacier. The waterfall is called Huldrefossen. Hudlre is a mythical creature that we talked about in previous blog entry. She is in the form of a beautiful woman but with a tail. She hides her tail and lures young men in the hope that they will marry her and then she will become human. Fossen means waterfall.

The hiking club has boxes on trails that have a book inside. If you hike or bike or ski the trail you can then write your
Kirsten, Ronny & IKirsten, Ronny & IKirsten, Ronny & I

This is on top of the mountain where they like to cross country ski.
name in the book with the date and time. This allows you to accumulate points and at the end of the season the club gives out prizes. This encourages people to get out in nature and get some excersize. We met an elderly man on the hike and stopped to chat with Gyda. When he left us to hike to the waterfall, Gyda informed us that he was 80 years old!!! OMG!!! I think they have found the fountain of youth here!!! It certainly is a testamount to walking everyday.

Today we sent Darlene off on her way to see her relatives in Holmestrand. I will follow along on Tuesday. Gyda and I visited some more family today and walked to the new public beach that the community has made. They swim in the fjord quite often in the summer and it wasn't tooooooo cold....once the circulation stopped.

I hope these pictures can show the beauty of nature that is all around you here!

Skøl!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The HutThe Hut
The Hut

This is where we had breakfast with Olav and Øydis.
Darlene, Lana, Øydis, & OlavDarlene, Lana, Øydis, & Olav
Darlene, Lana, Øydis, & Olav

Inside the hut - very cozy!!
HuldrfossenHuldrfossen
Huldrfossen

The end of the valley. Two waterfalls coming down from the glacier. Gorgeous!
Norwegian HikersNorwegian Hikers
Norwegian Hikers

Darlene putting our name in the box for the hiking club. We are offical Norwegian hikers now.
Lefsa???Lefsa???
Lefsa???

Lefsa in a box!!!???
Gathering up the sheepGathering up the sheep
Gathering up the sheep

Sheep all over the mountains. They're not so dumb after all....they know when to start coming down from the mountains.
LaerdahlfjordLaerdahlfjord
Laerdahlfjord

We drove over the mountain from Fresvik and low and behold....this was the view. This is the fjord that we came up on our tour.


31st August 2008

Hmm .... I see a future in travel writing for you
Hey...I'm not one to read about someone elses travel adventures but I am truly enjoying reading about the Misadventures of Lana in the Land of Vikings ..and the photos are amazing too. Makes me want to go there. Hey do they golf over there?
31st August 2008

Photography
Hey!Glad you are enjoying the blog. I could write and write and write on this but it would take up too much time. I did think of you as I am taking all these pictures. You would go CRAZY!!! It's soooo beautiful! I have a bunch of pics of the wild flowers too. I'll have to show you when I get back. No misadventures yet!! Sorry....ha ha ha.
2nd September 2008

Hi Lana, Darlene showed me your blog and I really enjoy reading it. But.... I do think you may suffer from a small sun stroke that may have affected your judgement. Because... it looks a bit like you are viewing everything through a pair of "rose-colored" sun glasses :) By the way I heard you missed out on the smalahove, too bad, I think you really would have liked it ;) Take care, I may see you on friday before you leave.

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb