Fjords & Waterfalls!!


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Sognefjord
August 20th 2008
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Darlene & Arild at HolmenkollenDarlene & Arild at HolmenkollenDarlene & Arild at Holmenkollen

Checking out Oslo's ski jump
We have had a couple of really early days BUT well worth our while!! Our tour guide, Ørvind, has been FANTASTIC! The knowledge that he has of Norway is incredible - I guess he should, considering he's Norwegian. We have decided that we need to bring him home with us to teach us Norwegian and other things.......hmmmmm........

We left Loen and made our way to the Stalheim Hotel - which is at the very top of a mountain on a road full of switch backs. We have an amazing bus driver, to say the least. The Hotel over looks Sugar Mountain and the gorgeous valley below. It is nestled between two waterfalls and is full of antiques. Dinner was a buffet - AGAIN! (God, if I thought I was going to lose weight, I was mistaken) and coffee and tea had to be taken outside the dinning room while listening to the piano and gazing at the moutains. We fell asleep listening to the waterfall.

On the way to Stalheim, we have had two ferry cruises on the fjords and tons of tunnels. The longest tunnel in the world at 24.5 kms which took us under the biggest glacier
Stave ChurchStave ChurchStave Church

Open air museum at Maihaugen
in Europe. (Don't ask me the name!!??)

Trolls, trees and waterfalls!! Unbelievable scenery. We also took in the Flåm railway up into the mountains and back down.

The Norwegians have this really funny sense of humour or maybe they are just crazy - they have farms on the side of mountains/hills - some are waaaaayyyyy at the top of a plateau looking over the fjords. How the hell did they get up there??? Never mind building a farm. All the cows and sheep have two legs shorter then the other as they are always grazing on a hill/slant.

Went through Voss today and very close to Fresvik where my family are from. Apparently, the road from Voss to Vik and onwards to Fresvik is closed. The roads and weather is very unpredictable here. So, it is good that we have already decided to take the Express Boat from Bergen to Vik on the 27th and Gyda will pick us up in Vik then.

I have finally been able to put some pictures on a cd and will attach to this blog entry.

Skøl!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Olympic Ski Jump at LillehammerOlympic Ski Jump at Lillehammer
Olympic Ski Jump at Lillehammer

Travelling down the ski lift
Olymipic Site Olymipic Site
Olymipic Site

Over looking Lillehammer
Overlooking GeirangerfjordOverlooking Geirangerfjord
Overlooking Geirangerfjord

Unbelievable drive up there and what a view!!!
At Glacier lookoutAt Glacier lookout
At Glacier lookout

Darlene and I happy we made it to the top.
Trollish ValleyTrollish Valley
Trollish Valley

They say when the clouds hang in the valley like this, it's 'Trollish out'. The reflection was perfect in the water.
Our Tour GuideOur Tour Guide
Our Tour Guide

Øvind, our tour guide. Way too cool for words!
Farming on the hillsideFarming on the hillside
Farming on the hillside

Can you imagine hiking all the way up there!!! Crazy!!!
Yet another waterfall!Yet another waterfall!
Yet another waterfall!

These pictures just don't do justice to the scenery.
HuldreHuldre
Huldre

Norwegian Fairytale says she leads the young men into the forest - never to be seen again!!
Colorful housesColorful houses
Colorful houses

The most common color for a Norwegian home is yellow or mustard yellow and white.
Hotel Stalheim ViewHotel Stalheim View
Hotel Stalheim View

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Our Tour GroupOur Tour Group
Our Tour Group

Happy Travellers!!
My new boyfriendMy new boyfriend
My new boyfriend

You know what they say about the size of their nose......!!!
BergenBergen
Bergen

Darlene at our hotel in Bergen
BergenBergen
Bergen

UNESCO


20th August 2008

Forbause fotoer ! !
Wow... amazing photos aka forbause fotoer . The lakes and fjords look picture perfect. Everything is so colorful. Keep them coming.
20th August 2008

I could live here!!
yes...it's very colorful and everyone keeps their homes and properties so neat and tidy!! How's the golfing? have you and Shawna been out yet?
20th August 2008

Incredible
I had no idea how beautiful it is over there.... makes BC look kinda lame. Just looks SOOO fresh!
22nd August 2008

Your a big suck
I am so jealous! It looks beautifull there. Hope you are having a good time. Play safe.
22nd August 2008

envious
wish I was there. Looks wonderful. miss you. see you when you get home
24th August 2008

What do they say about the size of your nose?
Yes...big glasses?
25th August 2008

Having a GREAT time! You would love it here!! The food is incredible. TONS of fish and seafood. Beer is super expensive - 15.00 to 20.00 a glass. We'd have to brew our own. Love ya!!

Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb