Bergen, Norway


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
August 23rd 2010
Published: August 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Copenhagen and Norway 2010


We left Dragsvik on the Sognefjord on Wednesday and drove to Bergen. Once again, the ride was beautiful. We drove through more valleys, more mountains then more valleys. And we drove through 39 tunnels, 6 of which we over a mile long. We took this route because the other route had a tunnel that was over 25 kilometers.

After arriving in Bergen, we dropped off the rental car and hoofed it for 3 days. Bergen reminds me of a small San Francisco in a way. It's surrouinded by mountains and lies right where a fjord meets the sea. Our hotel is right on an avenue that used to be the docks and there are fresh fish markets close by. It was also where we tasted some of the best food on our trip.
We found the church where my great grandmother was christened,and the actual apartment house where her family lived before the emigrated to America in 1883. The building's facade has been modernized, and what was theirapartment is now one floor above the "Buzz Tattoo Parlor".

After three days in Bergen, we took a 7 hour train ride back to Oslo, which was nice for Ralph, because he didn't have to drive. We made several stops, one of which was Finse - the highest train station in Europe.

We are now on the ferry returning to Copenhagen, and we'll arrive tomorrow morning.
Then we fly out of Copenhagen on Wednesday and head for home. This has been a very exciting and amazing trip. Norway is probably the most beautiful country I've ever seen. We also met many wonderful Norwegian people. It will be good to get home, though. We're a little homesick after 3 weeks away.

Thank you for sharing our trip with us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Our train Our train
Our train

Going from Bergen to Oslo
Our last Night in OsloOur last Night in Oslo
Our last Night in Oslo

It was nine o'clock, and it was still somewhat light


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb