Bergen (and 1 night back in Oslo) 14-22 May 2010


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
May 22nd 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Bergen Backcountry Run/Hike 1Bergen Backcountry Run/Hike 1Bergen Backcountry Run/Hike 1

I went for a small jog...which turned out to be a 3 hour hike/run wtf. The mountains behind Bergen lured me in like a siren
Side note first. Looks like my pictures didnt load too well for the published thing, so just click on one and you can get to them easily.

The train ride from Oslo to Bergen is nothing short of stunning. From the deepest green trees up to the highest glacier in Europe it is really really really good looking. Like a faceless infinitely headed serpent however, the lightless entity we had pitted ourselves against sent one of its most powerful minions against us! He took the form of a man, though was unable to fully disguise the filth lurking within. We took warey note of thick oil pasting his shoulder length hair to his neck and the arrogant sneer twisting his mouth. We had no chance. I can only assume this minion of the evil was not built with hearing function as he denied our attempts to explain why we had the incorrect date on our rail pass (since we had to wait a day to catch the train). We managed to escape with our souls intact however though we did loose 2 days on our railpass zzzzzz.

Bergen is without compare the most beautiful city I have ever laid eyes on all of this our fair earth. After emerging with our health from the paths of the dead, it was a sight my very spirit rejoiced in. We had a week planned, fjord tours, friends meeting up withness, hiking, biking, and topping it all off with a stage show.... Flight of the Choncords!!! (omgomgomgomg!!)

It was a day of blue perfection that we had arrived on. We checked in to our backpackers and i decided to take in some sites with a run through town. It was amazing. Old forifications, cobblestone streets, gorgeous scattering of docks, amazing sunset, crystal blue scy, 7 moutains offering a stunning backdrop!! I do love it.

Our first full day next day we hiked (is hoke the past tense of hike? Hiked? Hucked?) up the nearby lookout. It turned out there was a massive track ridled national park behind it that kept going up and up to a gorgeous mountain. We explored around here for most of the day finding out nazi outposts and rock pile things and just enjoying the mountain air and a rediculous view! Atrriving back down the mountain we tried to get tickets to Flight of the Conchords which apparently soul out 6 hrs after they were open for sales. Not to worry, we are lucky lol. So we booked a fjord tour through Sognfjord for a few days later.

Next day was national day and was sunny and cool, massive fair, drummer bands that had been playing everywhere for three days combined into a citywide parade, dressed up peeps, party party. Was pretty hilarious and we werent prepared lol. Next day gorgeous fjord tour. Basically the fjords are massive canyons gouged out through hard moutains by the progression of glaciers. The glaciers then retreat and the sea has reclaimed the base of the valleys, driving deep wedges of sea into the continent. The Sognefjord we went down is possibly the most spectacular in the world. It is up to 1.4 km deep with mountains that go up to about the same above and there is 100 photos attached for you to see. The boat section took us to a town called Flam which was gorgeous. We then caught a train up into the mountains where we met up with the train from the ride to Bergen. We go home and i figured i would go for a bit of a jog. I ended being seduced by wood nymphs and ran up a 560 m high mountain and took 3hrs but i loved every freezing second of my adventure lol (shorts and a shirt and i got high enough that there was ice on the ground lol). That night we went out to a bar that was a converted world war 2 bunker and had a few drinks, argued our faces off over some stuff that isnt importent unless your drunk in which case there is nothing more important.

We got to spend 5 hrs trying to book accom in Gothenburg next day. We failed because it was the weekend soooooooo we ended up planning on going to Stockholm. We had initially intended to go north through Norway but the money factor is putting alot of pressure on our pshyce. Basically its a constant weight we cant get rid of which reduces fun. That combine with the fact that north of where we are there is not many people or transport options which means we would need planning abilities beyond our ken at this point. Out for me drinks at a student bar, then next day (allow me to summarise) flight of the conchords day, did washing scored tickets in last 30 mins to the show (told you we were lucky), were good seats, saw Brett McKenze from flight of the conchords, got to meet arj barker after the gig. We also got to hike back up the mountain again! But this time it was on a rediculous rediculous stairway made of half colapsed granite blocks. Dangerous and fun!!!

Ended up overnighting in Oslo again on the way to Stockholm. Had the pleasure of rooming with the runners up for worst BO in the world who also managed to block the toilet which was cool. After taht it was on to stockholm babies!!

Well, i got a bit brief at the end there lol, but im getting behind on my posts >.< At least you can ogle my photograph candies!! Hope you are all safe good etc.

Much love from me, Nicksilver



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Our hostel balconyOur hostel balcony
Our hostel balcony

Were the 3 best friends taht anyone could have..
A statue!!A statue!!
A statue!!

On my run on our first afternoon...this is at about 9:00 at night lol.
Me being coolMe being cool
Me being cool

first run lol
Peace Bhatch!Peace Bhatch!
Peace Bhatch!

Perhaps today is a good day to die!
Sunset night 2Sunset night 2
Sunset night 2

Ficking awesome
2 ladies2 ladies
2 ladies

In their traditional garb for the national day (may 17)
Sognefjord cruise &  the Flam Sognefjord cruise &  the Flam
Sognefjord cruise & the Flam

Going out from Bergen, low clouds good
Sognefjord cruise &  the Flam Sognefjord cruise &  the Flam
Sognefjord cruise & the Flam

norway flag and that
Sognefjord cruiseSognefjord cruise
Sognefjord cruise

skind head!!!!
Sognefjord cruiseSognefjord cruise
Sognefjord cruise

Some tiny town on the Fjord.......so gorgeous
Sognefjord cruiseSognefjord cruise
Sognefjord cruise

Green water?
Flam Flam
Flam

Floating ball of granite? you could spin that mother easily!...note that familiar outline near sandlocks hand..
FlamFlam
Flam

From above.....stunning
Flam RailwayFlam Railway
Flam Railway

Old historic railway up into the mountain. A gorgeous half frozen still waterfall and a big dugong


Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb