Adventures in Bergen


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
July 2nd 2019
Published: July 7th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Travel blog 6 - Tuesday 2nd of July Bergen
Rest, Refuel and some more.... oh and how about some RAIN

Peggy arose early and took off to meet her brother and sister-in-law who were coming in by cruise ship early that morning. They were going up the monorail to the top of the “hill” that looks over Bergen. Meanwhile the rest of us had a leisurely morning at our BnB laughing and having yoghurt and drinking Nescafé. Lois discovered the vibrating recliner and was enjoying that - perhaps a bit too much ??.

After a bit we headed out to pick up our bikes and go for a bike ride. Lois also wanted to check on the fast boat to Bømlo. The bike shop had our bikes ready and set us up with an app for touring. We decided we would bike to Edvard Grieg’s house/museum, but first we had to go see about tickets for tomorrow. By the time we finished with that we were starving so we stopped at the outdoor fish market and had some lovely paella ?! With our bellies full we headed out on our adventure.

Somehow I got to lead the way... something about the phone holder and the bell. Anyway the ride there was pretty straight forward. Oh except for the part where the road was under construction and ended and we couldn’t proceed on route - oops. Luckily I had noticed an alternate route just a little ways back. So we rerouted and were there before we knew it.

I am not a big classical music fan but the museum and exhibit and video presentation were delightful. The whole location was very beautiful and inviting (see pictures). We wandered into the coffee shop for a bite and a coffee before doing the tour. I bird-watched out the window, we determined the large birds similar to crows were magpies. Meanwhile Lois got tagged by a young college student to do a survey on tourism. It was rather interesting and he a very nice young fellow.

The tour completed we hopped on our bikes to head back and join up with Peggy. Our return trip was not to be free of major incidents however. We planned to head back to the city center via old Bergen so we could see different scenery and go by one of the stave churches. The best laid plans of Lois, Isabelle and Linda.... I was running out of power and Lois and Isabelle had no signal. It also appeared that by the time we discovered all this the gps was also very confused. At one point we headed down an alley, and then another we went up a walking path which appeared to be the back yard of a senior apartment and ended in steep stairs so we had to backtrack. We regrouped and decided that with the remaining power I had we should just head home. Also gray skies were moving in and we didn’t want to be caught in the rain! I entered directions to our apartment and we were off again. But our struggles weren’t over - road construction and confusing gps directions were our next stumbling block but ahaha we located the bike path for the city center and continued on!

We were now in somewhat familiar territory but of course the rain was now falling. We weaved in and out of the city streets, my phone now dead, looking for familiar sites. Lois got a text from Peggy that she was at an Irish Pub near our home but we were still too far away. When she hears from Peggy again she was going to eat but she didn’t answer our text as to where. We now knew where we were as we passed our restaurant from the night before.

We finally made it and hauled our bikes to the back porch for storage. Peggy showed up soon thereafter. Isabelle and Lois decided to go eat and I decided to tag along for a beer as they were going to the brewery down on the dock by the fish market. It was worth the trip as the beer was delicious! They ordered food and I snacked off them and the French fries I’d ordered. Our bellies full it was time to head home for a night’s rest. Tomorrow it was the ferry on to Bømlo! Then we would start the next adventure.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb