North Cape


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Northern Norway » Honningsvag
February 27th 2017
Published: February 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

North Cape LookoutNorth Cape LookoutNorth Cape Lookout

The piece of land in the background is the peninsula which is the most northern part of continental Europe
The ship docked at Honningsvag. This little village boasts 2.5 supermarkets and 5 pubs. The locals make their living through fishing and the production of Stock Fish. Stockfish is unsalted air dried fish. It lasts for a long time and is easily re-constituted into moist fish. We had some on the ship – both dried and re-constituted. The dried stuff is a great way to carry and consume protein without worrying about it going off.

We travelled to the North Cape in a bus. There were 3 buses in total from the ship. North cape is the most northern part of Norway and continental Europe. The latitude is N 71.10.21 degrees. The North Cape is the point where the Norwegian Sea, part of the Atlantic Ocean, meets the Barents Sea, part of the Arctic Ocean. It is called Nordkapp in Norwegian. This area is very cold, with temperatures being -7 to -5 on the day we visited.

To get up the mountain the buses were part of a snow convoy. This means that the snow-plough is in front of the vehicles and moves the snow from the road. They reach 60kph going up and down this mountain.

We had a look at the children of the earth monuments up at the North Cape. Children from around the world who were brought together in a program of collaboration designed these structures. A local sculptor created the mother and child sculpture placed near the monuments.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

StockfishStockfish
Stockfish

An example of how stock fish is produced on drying racks.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb