Crossing the Arctic Circle


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Northern Norway » Bodø
July 23rd 2023
Published: July 24th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Woken to an early alarm as we were crossing the Arctic circle between 0730 and 0800.

Got on deck as the ships horn went off signaling crossing the line. There is a globe on a small island which signifies the 66 degree 33 minute latitude mark of the circle. Got some pics and then went for breakfast.

Part of crossing the Arctic circle is to celebrate with Neptune who delivers a speech and then initiated all with ice down their backs. Yes I did that and it was bloody cold but the Akavit after warmed the inner parts up. Went and changed the t shirt as it was soaked.

Had an early port call at 1300 for around 3.5 hours in Bodo. Good walk around the city Centre and ended up having a real latte on the way back.

Did quite a bit of reading today as we still had lots of down time.

Smaller port around 2100 for around 45 minutes. Good to get off and stretch the legs around a city area.

Finishing off with a visit to a special fjord (Trollfjorden). This fjord is very short (around 2.5km) but also very tight at the start. There is very little room between the walls of the fjord and the ship. The walls go straight up and are a magnificent sight. At the end of the fjord the skipper does a tight spin turn and back we go. Impressive.

And now it is well past midnight, the sun is still out and it is bedtime.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb